Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wacky Impedance Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    4 ohms and 8 ohms create about a 3 ohm load, I think. I'm still and forever will be a techno idiot. If I had a 4 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab what would my impedance be? (This sounds like a dumbass riddle.)

What would be the drawbacks of running a system like this? I have a 4 ohm cab in transit. I'm hoping one cab will do it for me. (I think it will). But, if ever I wanted to try two cabs, could the above be a possibility? The (HUGE) problem would be finding a 16 0hm cab...

Just curious.

Thanks.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
  4. 4 ohms // 8 ohms = 2.67 ohms, here's why -

Impedance in parallel:

1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + .... + 1/Rn

So 1/Rtotal = 1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8, then flip it, so 8/3 = 2.67.

Same thing with 4//16 gives 1/16 + 1/4 = 5/16, or 16/5 = 3.2 ohms

Most amps are only 4 ohm rated. You'll need an amp rated at 2 ohms to be able to handle any cab in parallel with your 4 ohm cab.

The drawbacks are that the 4 ohm cabinet will get twice as much power as an 8 ohm cabinet in parallel, and 4 times as much power as a 16 ohm cab in parallel. No way around this.

It's best to just use (1) 4 ohm cab or (2) 8 ohm cabs.

Chris

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I guess I lose... :)

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If a cabinet has multiple speakers, i.e. 4x10, 2x12, etc., you could rewire them internally to a different impedence. For example, a 4 ohm 2x10 has 2 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel, so you could rewire them in series and get a 16 ohm load. Your options depend on the impedence of the individual drivers. This is really only practical with 4 ohm multi-driver cabs; 8 ohm cabs are gonna end up at either 2 ohms or 32 ohms depending on the drivers and wiring scheme, and neither load is very useful. Example; 4x10 8 ohm cab has 4 8 ohm drivers in a series/parallel configuration. If you put them all in series, you get 32 ohms, if you put them all in parallel, you get 2 ohms.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    All right. I have a 4 ohm EBS 2x12 on the way. No idea wht the speaks are. Either 4 or 8 I suppose. I'm hoping this will be it. However, as you mentioned, I could rewire these for 8 ohms, add another 8 ohm cab and be set with a 4 ohm load? I'm hoping I won't need to do this but, if so, it could be done in this manner?

Thx.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Uhh, no....if the cab is 4 ohm, then it has 2 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel (technically, it could have 2 2ohm speakers wired in series, but I've never seen a 2 ohm speaker). You could wire them in series and get a 16 ohm load. There is no way to wire 2 8 ohm speakers to get an 8 ohm load.

You can safely run a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab; the total load will be 5.33 ohms. BUT, the 16 ohm cab will not be recieving as much power as the 8 ohm cab.

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
  10. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    What would 3 eight ohm cabs work out to be cabled one to the other?

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Figure it out. . .

1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 3/8

flip over, 8/3.

Same as one 8 and one 4, which makes sense: put two of the 8s in parallel -> 4 ohms. Put that in parallel with the remaining 8 -> 8/3 or 2.67 ohms.