Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wacky mod. ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ak50324, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ak50324

ak50324

Jul 30, 2005
    YOu could get a 6 six string, shift the strings(E,A,D,G) down to the bottem(lowest string is...E?) and get a 7 string set to use with the top two spaces.
    The intonation would be crappy, but you could get some really high notes from that thing, while still not having to switch my hand postion at all.

I also had the idea of having two pickups that would run sideways for each string(like a jazz turned sideways), and but that would be just an insane amount of micro managing,(3 tone settings for each string!!!)

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The intonation would be fine and I would expect there are a number of people who already string their 6's one fourth higher, tons of 5 stringers do this.

Go for it, it will work on a normal 6 with a slight intonation adjustment and maybe a new nut but it will at least work with the old one.

3. I tune my 6 EAGDCF...its pretty cool and works great...i think juststrings.com has single strings that you can buy, which is what i did

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I often wonder what my SX Jazz would sound like with a J-Retro. I understand it's a fantastic piece of gear.

Unfortunately, I simply cannot wrap my mind around putting a $300 preamp into a $120 bass. :rollno:
    For that money, I could buy an active Jazz. :meh:

It is an interesting thought, tho.

5. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Well if you're going that route, how about a SX neck on a Sadowsky? :)

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    IMO, that's the same thing as saying, "I can't see the point of playing my $120 bass through my $1200 rig." :meh:

I'm planning on dropping a J-Retro into my SX jazz sometime when I have the money. I figure it's not a permanent thing, and even though it's in a $120 bass, I can always take it out if I need or want to.

Personally, I have no problem with buying expensive-ish parts for my SX because I'll always have them and most parts are interchangeable between most basses. Actually, if my math is correct, I've already spent more on parts for my bass than I did on the actual bass itself. The end product will be a bass that either I'll be completely happy with, or one that I can scrap but still keep my Dimarzio UJs and my BAII. :D

7. [​IMG]
    I like the "pickup per string" idea... I just don't think 4 side-by-side jazz pickups would work as well as Italia's Modulo lipstick design.

-ryan-

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Come on, more suggestions! That looks weird ^^^

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Put the four coils into a proper carcass :meh: .

10. Not sure if youll be able to strech 6 pickups into one body... i would go for 3... one for each 2 strings... to me thats enough versitlity... or, you could use mustang style pickups... let me look up somemore on then and get back to ya

11. as for the pickup per string idea, i kinda like how atlansia did it...
    [​IMG]

and i think that the NS EUB has the same type of pickups too

12. didnt we already accomplish this with piezo pickups in the bridge? granted, some may not like the sound, but still, thats exactly the one pickup per string idea......

13. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    heres a spin on your pickup-per-string idea... have all seperate outputs for them too, that way you could use different effects on each string.

you could then also tune all the strings the same and it would sound like many basses playing the same thing using different effects.

14. and you could hire a small army to control your pedal boards.......

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Or a small computer :)

16. apparently lots of people use one output per pickup to achieve something similar?

17. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    i think phil lesh has done something like that with his alembics

18. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I could undestand running each string through a different rig, sorta like splitting the highs and lows, but this way you're splitting each string. Alot of guys split highs and lows, I know Billy Sheehan does. But honestly, with all the single out puts, is it really worth it? Then again I'm looking at all this from a gigging bassists perspective. All this stuff sounds like its to much, a bit over the top if you will. But again- this is from a gigging point of view. Carrying 4 rigs to a show... I could/would never do that.

Dan

19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    It is actually possible, i dont know if there is such a thing like a 7 way cable (1 positive input, 6 negative outputs) then use a computer to buffer the signal and use a pedal board with 1 or 2 pedals programmed with all the fx in the secuence you r going to use them, and another pedal as a rom selector just in case you want to make presets for each song. You wont need an army just some practise.