Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wacky Oddball?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Templar, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Does my Conklin Rocco look "strange"? I've been told on 3 occasions that it does. Personally I like it but I'm curious....

[​IMG]

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i think it looks cool. it might be the differing patterns between the wood grain and the pickguard that got people thrown off?

-jimbo

3. Yeah, the p/g looks a little odd on there. Still, looks like a nice bass to me.... ;)

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    The pups are a fair distance apart. But i reckon it looks sweet. :cool:

Nice bass!

5. Just because I'm a nice guy, I'll trade you even for my "normal" looking Ibanez. Aren't I sweet? :D

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Who was it that told you it looked strange? Average folks? Other bassists? Remember, most folks are only aware of Fender basses and that lovely Conklin looks nothing like your run-of-the-mill Fender.

And strange is in the eye of the beholder. I'll bet everyone and their dog thought the discontinued Ibanez EDA looked really strange. I'll bet there are folks who think Dingwalls look strange because of the fanned frets. I think those aforementioned basses look cool, btw.

Or if you're playing a BC Rich Warlock or something, it would certainly look strange at a jazz gig but not at all strange at a metal gig.

And sometimes aesthetics become meaningless once you actually strap a bass on. For example, I was never really fond of how the Thumb bass bodies looked, but once I strapped one on and it felt good against my body, ugly became beautiful.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    yep, pretty strange. ;)

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'd hit it. ;)

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It looks really strange. You don't need something that screwed up in your arsenal, here, I'll PM you with my address and I'll live with it :)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think it's because it's close enough to the standard Fender design that everyone is used to that they might notice there's something _slightly_ askew from the tried and true formula, thus warranting comment.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    OH MY FREAKING GOD MAN! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?
    Geeze... I know EXCATLY what's wrong! It's missing a string!!

-Ray :D