Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

waddya think of a fender standard p as a first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabidbassist, Oct 29, 2002.

1. what do u think of a Fender P Bass Standard as a first bass?

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I think that would be a very good choice. You might want to check out a standard Jazz too and pick the one which neck fits best in your hand. Either way, great choices.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Leo seemed to think it was good enough for a first bass!! :)

If it is good enough for Leo, then it is good enough for you.

Chas

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    For the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a better choice.

6. like rayzak said, I would check out a Jazz too, I like them better than P's for a coupla reasons (tone and feel)

7. dwerk11

dwerk11

Oct 27, 2002
    Does Fender make the P bass in left hand?

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Great choice and the answer is yes, I have seen them lefty!

9. that would be my choice, if i could go back in time and give my younger self advice. go for it.

10. dwerk11

dwerk11

Oct 27, 2002
    i anyone knows if there is a website that has left handed fender p bass can you please reply

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To paraphrase Chris Rock, "Ain't nothin' wrong with a P-bass.". :D

One point that hasn't been brought up yet - A true "Fender Precision" (as opposed to a copy) will be worth more on the used market if you decided to trade up.

12. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    A Standard P or J would do the trick. You'll love the P sound.

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

kinda hard to beat this logic... go with the P Bass!

P@

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would go back in time, and tell DHC's younger self to ignore his older self, buy a Standard Jazz Bass (as opposed to a P), and invest in Microsoft.

15. oh sure, like i'd listen to some stranger over my own damn self. i was a stupid kid, but not THAT stupid.

oh, and before i came back to the present i'd rip out a mean "Johnny B Goode" at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds good to me! But I'd agree with other posters in that you should try a Jazz and a P and see which your prefer - they are quite different, but both very good!

17. You could definitely do a whole lot worse!

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Absolutely. A standard P or J would be good choices. Good instruments and with a decent second hand or trade-in value if you want to buy something else later on. Or just keep it.

They are also 'right' for any music style, as opposed to some flying-V or some heavy metal-only body shape, which would be harder to trade in or sell.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO there is no better first bass than a Fender P or a Fender P copy. Personally I would recommend visiting Rondo Music and look at their P bas copies. Their stuff gets rave reviews here, look for the "Essex Megathread".
    Check the aforementioned Rondo Music for a well regarded left handed P bass copy.

20. Fender P is quite a good choice. But you might also want to check the Yamaha RBX and BB series.