Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah and autowah suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by D'yer Mak'er, Dec 28, 2004.

1. The only effects I feel I really need/want on bass are a wah and an envelope/autowah to give the tone a nice wet sound...if you know what I mean. Any suggestions for either are appreciated!

By the way, is there even a difference between the terms "autowah" and "envelope?"

2. Envelope controlled filters (also known as auto filters, auto wahs, or dynamic wahs) are input sensative filters that are triggered by an input voltage from the musical instrument. Unlike standard wah pedals whose center frequency is controlled by rocking a pedal back and forth, an envelope filter's center frequency is controlled by playing dynamics, allowing for an almost unlimited variety of effects based on expressive nuances in a player's performance.

Popular pedal models in include the classics; Mu-Tron III (or reissue Mu-Tron III+), DOD FX25, Ibanez AF-201, and the more modern Lovetone Meatball, Boss AW-2, and Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron(s).

I assume you want a pedal, but there are some off the hook rack mount models as well like the Electro-Harmonix Bi-Filter, Sherman Filterbank, and Musitronics Mutator.

Personally, I have the Lovetone Meatball and Mu-Tron III and had a Q-Tron in the past. I'm sure you'll find a lot on folks around here that love their Meatballs (like me), but they can be expensive since you have to buy used as they are out of production.

Both the EH Q-Tron+ and Mutron III+ (the reissue), offer low band pass filters so you can get the bottom end through. What's nice about the Meatball is that it has a Blend knob, so you can blend the "dry" signal with the "wet" signal. That way, you can have the effect working on any particular harmonic
    range and not lose you're bottom end.

3. a good cheap envelope filter would be the DOD FX25B, which unlike the first FX25, has a blend knob. you can pick one up for really cheap on ebay.
    The meatball is really cool, but like sfbassplayer said, is really expensive. you can find a lot of schematics online for meatball clones, and if you can find someone to build it for you, you could get it for a lot cheaper than a real meatball...

4. Well thanks guys...still looking for suggestions about an actual wah pedal though?

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    lots of people swear by their EBS Bass IQ.

but...i'll be sticking with my DOD FX25B. sure, it's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it's a CHEAP one-trick pony! :bassist:

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    dunlop 105q

...?

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm currently using a Morley Pro Series II wah. It's a guitar wah pedal, but it sounds really good on bass. Not too expensive, built like a tank, and doesn't eat batteries for breakfast. The only downside is a slight popping noise when stepping on the footswitch to engage the effect. And less expensive than the 105Q. :)

Graeme :bassist:

Attached Files:

8. I have to chime in for the Pigtronix EP-1 once again. Think of it as Mu-Tron meets UniVibe. It is a great envelope filter and a phaser in one pedal that sells for around $220. Split your guitar signal and run one part through a volume pedal into the trigger-in side-chain and you get your wah as well.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    EBS bassIQ or Lovetone Meatball. Voila.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Maxon AF-9...there is NO other, The End...

~S~

PS: For great examples, listen to Andrew Weiss on Rollins "End of Silence". Killer playing!!!...

11. why does everyone hate on the BassBalls pedal??