WAH and Distortion ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joiner, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Hi @ all,

I´m looking for a Distortion Pedal for my bass. Can I use that Boss DS-1 or whatever, even as it is made for guitar? For example, Jason Newsted uses a BF-2 Flanger, isn`t that a guitar effect, too ?
    Let me know..

I´m also looking for a Wah-Wah that makes my sound a bit more funky. I´ve got a Dunlop Crybaby - but I somehow don`t like the sound. Should I sell it and get a Morley to get closer to the Metallica Bass-Wah Sound (For whom the bell tolls - from S&M) or is anything wrong with my technique ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

2. Sepultallica

Jan 14, 2001
    If you're looking for Jason Newsted's bass wah + distortion sound, I suggest you buy:

*Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi - These are pretty easy to find since EH reissued them. If your local music store doesn't carry EH, get one from Musician's Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com).

*Morley Power Wah Boost - Now comes the hard part. Morley no longer makes this pedal--they stopped back in either the '70s or 80's. I found mine at a music store used for 50 bucks. You're probably better off looking on Ebay for it. Morley's newer pedals just don't have the same sound as the Power Wah Boost did.

I own both of these effects, and it gives you the unmistakable Jason Newsted bass wah tone. If you can find the Morley, you'll have it made.