Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WAH and Distortion ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joiner, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    Hi @ all,

I´m looking for a Distortion Pedal for my bass. Can I use that Boss DS-1 or whatever, even as it is made for guitar? For example, Jason Newsted uses a BF-2 Flanger, isn`t that a guitar effect, too ?
    Let me know..

I´m also looking for a Wah-Wah that makes my sound a bit more funky. I´ve got a Dunlop Crybaby - but I somehow don`t like the sound. Should I sell it and get a Morley to get closer to the Metallica Bass-Wah Sound (For whom the bell tolls - from S&M) or is anything wrong with my technique ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

2. Sepultallica

Sepultallica

Jan 14, 2001
    If you're looking for Jason Newsted's bass wah + distortion sound, I suggest you buy:

*Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi - These are pretty easy to find since EH reissued them. If your local music store doesn't carry EH, get one from Musician's Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com).

*Morley Power Wah Boost - Now comes the hard part. Morley no longer makes this pedal--they stopped back in either the '70s or 80's. I found mine at a music store used for 50 bucks. You're probably better off looking on Ebay for it. Morley's newer pedals just don't have the same sound as the Power Wah Boost did.

I own both of these effects, and it gives you the unmistakable Jason Newsted bass wah tone. If you can find the Morley, you'll have it made.