Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah and why

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fleafan, Nov 12, 2000.

1. I would like to invest in a wah pedal it will be cheaper to my a zoom multi effects then to buy a single pedal like a crybaby what would you sugest?

2. wah one or rmc equwahlizer 9, look'm up.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I tried EBS Wah One and G Lab Wowee-Wah, both well loved pedals, but ended up with the Dunlop Cry Baby 105Q.

For me a deciding factor is the auto-on feature, I don't like the traditional bypass switch on wah pedals. The G Lab pedal has this feature too, but the pedal I got had a volume drop I couldn't accept so I returned it.

Unemploid likes this.
  4. Carlo CN

Carlo CN

Feb 12, 2014
    Italy
  5. The volume switch on my Wowee goes between a slight volume drop or volume a slight volume boost - I find the higher setting just right!

I didn't like the fact that the 105Q (and also the Weeping Demon I believe although I've not tried one) have a delay before the effect turns off since they are based on the position of the pedal, whereas the G-Lab is truly pressure sensitive and allows you to accent single notes in a riff with ease.

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I would have kept the Wowee-Wah if mine had done that, a slight volume increase would have been ideal. But, mine had two levels of volume drop instead, which don't work for me. The response from G Lab support was really slow so I gave up and returned the pedal before they answered. I did not get the impression the levels can be adjusted anyway so I didn't want to risk buying a second copy.

The delay time on the 105Q is adjustable, though setting it at zero has the effect of turning off the effect too quickly if you don't move the pedal. The Wowee-Wah does have the best implementation of the auto on/off function.

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What's with all the zombie bumping of 14 year old wah threads?

mouthmw likes this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Illinooooiiissssssssss
    This is partially what did if for me too. Its just a lot nicer to have it there and ready rather than having to engage it then go. The added volume and Q controls are a major plus as well. Yes, its a big wah, but man, does it rock. Ive been happy with it for a while now and dont see myself changing any time soon. I have heard good things about the Ibanez Weeping Demon as well. But like I said, since Ive been so happy with the 105q, I havent had any reason to move onto to something else. You can find them pretty cheap used too. Its simply and very well rounded and great sounding, inexpensive wah. Great value. Plus it looks cool in all white ;)

9. Just Zombie bumping of 14 year old threads in general! Maybe Unemploid has sorted all the posts in reverse date order?!

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hmm, didn't even notice this time ... there has been a rash of zombie thread bumping lately though, don't really see what the reason would be for answering a several year old question ... strange. Have we completely run out of new things to discuss? :)

11. the point is not to help the poster, but anyone that finds the thread. the future bassists of tomorrow.

gregmon79 likes this.
  12. let's call them cold case threads.

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Once I moved my booster (phat phuk, which is always on) to before wah, my 105Q sounds much better to my ears. Once fed with various fuzz/dirt pedals, it really roars and I love it. I might do one last experiment where I put my booster before wah, and my overdrive and fuzz after it, but I'm definitely a lot more into the "dirt before wah" camp.

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. can you post some sound samples? @mouthmw

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I guess I could do that when I have the time, sure. In a nutshell, booster after wah made the sweep a bit less full, and more harsh in highs (when fully pressed), before wah it made it smoother and fuller. It's not a huge difference but it was enough for me to notice it. Btw the phat phuk is a dirty boost so it's sort of like having a light overdrive before or after wah. Something like that.

Unemploid likes this.