Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah anyone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Jan 26, 2006.

1. i bout an old (early 90's) guitar cry baby a while back and i use it almost every time i play now, it gets kind of lost in the low end, but during a break down or bass solo, playing in the higher range it really helps out

one thing though, and this may be due to it being designed for a six string, but when i engage it, i generally lose a lot of volume, not too noticable, but to the point where before a song where i use it i have to crank the amp up another notch, this normal?

and just wonderin who else uses one

2. Don't you have a volume pot on the pedal that you can adjust?

3. nope, this is the old school cry baby, one input, one output, nothing more...

its even before they put the cutout in the bottom for the battery, you have to pull the whole base of this thing off just to switch the battery

(its not the battery, i replaced it and it had no effect on volume)

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I really hate the Cry baby and Vox wahs. They just kill my sound... Even the bass version.

I have a Morley PWA that I tweaked a little, and the comparison is simple : no bass/low mids loss, way better transparent sound.

I don't use it much in my band, but I love it.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I lost my love for wah a while ago, I found filters worked better for that funky wah sound and I didn't really use any wah like a traditional.

I did however like the Snarling Dogs Mold spore for that traditional type wah.

But I'm yet to miss not having a wah pedal.

6. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    well, i know that it's possible to modify a guitar wha crybaby to a bass wha crybaby. it's an electronic part affair. But for the level problem, i don't know the solution... Perhaps you could plug wha in the effect loop of your amp (if you got one ?) which with you can easily set a level with blend pot of the effect loop, but i don't know about sound results...

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    The volume lost can easily be modified, just replacing a resistor by a trimpot. If you have any skills with a soldering iron it should not be hard. I did it a lot.

8. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    coucou basstyra :D
    je ne me souviens plus le composant à changer pour la transformer en bass wha. Peut être le sais tu ?

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
  10. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    cool !!!! merci-thanks basstyra ;)

11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I use a Dunlop 105Q wah. I dig it because I can dial in the frequency I want to wah and I always retain my lows.

12. Word.

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I found a site where this is indicated :
    http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm

I would personnaly put a trimpot to reaplce the 68k resistor. A 100k would be fine.