Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah: Dunlop Dime Crybaby from Hell / Snarling Dogs Blue Bawls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iualum, Apr 30, 2005.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm most interested in the Crybaby from Hell, maybe Blue Bawls. Anybody use these? Or everybody down with the Dunlop 105Q & Morley PBA 2 Dual? Thanks.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There is a surplus of threads on the 105q and the Morley Dual if you do a search.

Secondly, I have found that guitar wahs are pretty useless on bass!

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks, but Ive looked at the Dunlop & Morley threads(enough of them, anyway) & decided that I want to try something else.

All I meant was if bass guys only look to "bass" wah effects, has anyone tried non-bass wahs? The Crybaby from Hell & Blue Bawls just look interesting, that's all.

Toasted says his experience is that non-bass wahs don't cut it. O.K., good, that's the kind of response I'm looking for.

Actually, now that I've looked some more, Snarling Dog's Bawl Buster, bass dedicated w/true by-pass, is looking like something to take a shot with. Anybody tried it?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Check out an Ibanez Weeping Demon. I love mine!

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Automagic Earthshaker is your boutique option.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Godlyke pedals stock Automagic :)

7. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Wow, that Earthquake wah looks great & lot'o'options, but geez(!), pricey. Anybody heard it, used it, or know anyone that has?

8. The Earthquake is nice...but if you get the chance to even try out the Boss PW-10 V-Wah, it's pretty unreal. Models Vox, Dunlop, Morley, Univibe and a few others, with different modeled distortions (if desired) and 3 memory presets. Plus, it's optical, which means no mechanics for the wah to wear out, get scratchy, or need grease. I really like mine, and it's what I went to after the 105Q.

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I tried one of those, and couldn't stand it. I hated that the toe up position had the effect that the toe down position has on other wah pedals. Didn't like the distortion tone either, nor did my guitarist when he tried it. I would vote for the Morley Pro Series II. It's a guitar wah that sounds awesome on bass. True bypass, and built like a tank as well.

Graeme

10. Wouldn't that mean that the wah is deeper? That was a huge selling point for me. The Wah Range knob determines where the Q is centered, so perhaps the one you demo'd was set to one extreme. I hate overly tinny/squelchy/high-pitched wahs.

To each his own I suppose.

For what it's worth, I use the "Advanced" wah setting with Wah Range all the way to the left, and I rarely use the distortion because I have another pedal for that. It is the deepest wah with the longest sweep I've tried. I dig it.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hmm, maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. I'm going to my L&M tonight (to buy some bongos! :hyper: ) so I'll give it another try.

Graeme

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Its optical? Thats one of the complaints I have heard about on the old ART X-15 foot pedals. Can you hear "steps" when you rock the wah slowly? Just curious.

13. Nope, pretty smooth over the whole wah range.