1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wah only funk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gorilla, Aug 10, 2007.

1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=bLIYeYcEDm0
    there guitarist uses his wah pedal for something other than funk.... so i was wondering if any bassiest used a wah pedal for other than funk/jazz or is that the only thing wah pedals are meant for in the world of bass?

2. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Tim Commerford.

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :eyebrow:

Let me be the first to say that NO effect is limited to just one genre. Plenty of bands can demonstrate the use of effects outside their more "traditional" genres - Muse, The Mars Volta, Rage Against the Machine... just to name a few.

Wah pedals on bass have always managed to find a place in pretty much any genre, including rock and metal. If you've ever listened to older Metallica albums (especially Kill Em' All and Ride the Lightning), Cliff Burton uses a wah pedal frequently, especially during his solos. And that's just one of the more popular examples.

There are a LOT of bassists - including ones on TalkBass - who use wah pedals for rock. I'm one of them!

And about guitarists... there are just as many guitarists who solo with a wah pedal as there are that don't - Steve Vai, Kirk Hammett, Dimebag Darrell, Slash, Jimi Hendrix... and others. They all usually use a wah pedal with their amp's distortion or a distortion pedal for screaming solos!

I'm really, really surprised you thought wah was only for funk! :eek:

This forum is going to be an eye opener for you :D

4. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I was gonna say Cliff on early Metallica, but MysticBoo beat me to it.

I'll add Geezer Butler on Black Sabbath's NIB.

5. Play steady 8 notes and rock the wah back and forth slowly. It is the perfect sound for a cool intro. :D

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I don't use a wah, but many people do. I always assosciated wah with the jimi not with funk :meh: but I know its common in it.

7. check out Reed Mathis with the Jacob Fred Jazz Oddysey

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I am El Fantasma RĂ¡pido! :ninja:

9. I have always associated wah with psychadelic tones more than funk (think Tales of Brave Ulyssys)

another question, do some wahs sound more funky and others more psychadelic? or is it all technique?

10. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    There's alot more to it than that.

A wah can be characterized by a number of electrical parameters. Minimum center frequency, maximum center frequency and Q of the filter. Changing these dramatically alters the wah sound.

And that's just based on the linear circuit theory, throw in distortion, non linearities and inductor type and there are alot more variables.

I hit some of the points in my lecture on effects (I teach a college level engineering class on some of the electrical engineering aspects of music)

Here's a link to the presentation (http://www.cooper.edu/~hoerni/teach/eemusic/effects_v6.htm

The section on filters starts at page 25, and the wah is covered on 32 and 33.

11. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hmm, I just realized that the online version of that presentation is a little out of date. If you like, I can upload a newer version tomorrow with the sound clip examples.

12. wow.... i like this guy.

13. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Yeah man, no offense but where the hell have you been in the last 40 years? EVERY lead guitarist worth their salt incorporates a wah pedal into their rig so I'll forego listing 'em all and cover the bases: starts with Hendrix and Page and just branches out from there ALL over the map!

As far as bassists go: Cliff Burton, Rex Brown (great example towards the end of "Cowboys From Hell"), Claypool, Justin Chancellor, Flea, Jeff Ament...and I don't know anymore off-hand.

14. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    People use wah with funk?
    What is the world coming to.
    Jonathan

15. Yes! I'd like that very much!
    :hyper:

16. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    me?

Okay, here is the updated link with sound clips

www.musicandengineering.com/lectures/Effects_v11.htm

The filter stuff starts on page 29 and the wah stuff is now on page 36.

This presentation was taken from power point and only really works in IE. Please let me know if you find any errors or if there is something you would like clarification on.

17. oh wow, consider that baby bookmarked.

18. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I've got others too. I have one on pycho acoustic compression (mp3s) too.

This past semester I wrote up new ones on vacuum tubes and guitar/bass basics. I still need to write up one on MIDI and music basics.

I'll post the other links as I get them up. I'm trying to get the site up, but I've been too busy rebuilding pedals and tube amps this summer.

19. back to one of your earlier posts..

so they do make some wah pedals more for psychadelic music and others for funk?

20. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know how many are designed to be for a specifc genre, and how many just end up that way.

The Bootsy wah is probably designed for funk, since that's what he does. The Slash wah or Dimebag wah, likely good for metal (or at least their tones)

Aside from signature pedals, which are usually modifications of standard designs, there are some pedals that have "different" sounds that have been embraced in other types of music.

The DOD FX-17 for instance has a more synthy sound and is usually used in more spacey, less funky situation. The sound difference is due to two major things: the treadle is capacitive instead of the standard pot, and the circuit is inductor-less. It's still a sweepable bandpass, but the circuit is quiet different.

Morley is also different, using optoisolators, but I don't know much about the rest of the circuit.