Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah or fuzz first?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Mar 3, 2005.

1. well, just a quick question. i have a dunlop 105q wah, and a frantone lo-tone fuzz in the mail. (cant wait for it to come) anyway. i was wondering when i hook both of them up, if i should go fuzz then wah, or wah then fuzz. i was thinking that wah then fuzz makes more sense. but idk. i have heard that each produces a very different sound. could anybody help me?

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Try both! I usually distort the wah, but wahing the distortion is a usable sound too!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally prefer fuzz before wah. The wah effect is much more prominent. With the wah before fuzz, the wah tends to effect the way the fuzz effects the tone.

Both are helpful though.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the only person that can help you is yourself. try it before the wah, try it after the wah. Whatever sounds best to you, there you are.
    I personally prefer it before, you may prefer it after.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This is exactly correct, as has most of the other posts. Try both, and see which of these two scenerios you like more.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

This is particularly fun when you have say 10 pedals. Endless combinations, then when you get pedals with effects loops withing loops... oh yes... give me more loops!

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    My feelings exactly!

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well there is also impedance issues, fuzzes work best when they get a straight full signal from you instrument - you get more instrument/pedal interaction. As well as more nuances in the tone. Fuzzes HATE to be but behind a buffer, so if your wah is true bypass then its fine. On the other hand wah pedals have a very high input impedence, and most of the time need to be first. Its a sad sad tale, that has been going on for ever.

I would say put your fuzz first in the chain, then the wah... You may have less problems this way...

cheers

Alex

9. thanks for all the imput. w00t for these forums.