wah/overdrive chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smuttley, Jan 1, 2001.

1. smuttley

Sep 29, 2000
    i recently bought a crybaby 105Q, and i link it up to my boss overdrive.
    i know most guitarists have overdrive before wah, but i find with this wah that it cuts the level of "distorted" sound, producing a seperate filtered sound plus the distorted signal.

placing the wah before the overdrive seems to sound more normal.
    how does everyone else link up their wah/overdrive?
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When I was a full time guitar player, my wah pedal was the first connection coming out of my guitar. When I use an envelope filter with my bass, the envelope filter is the first thing my bass signal is fed into. I think a wah pedal or envelope filter performs better with a clean uneffected signal and, IMO, should be the first thing in your effects chain.
  3. mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    You'll find most bassists prefer their dirt pedals going into wah since this produces a more pronounced wah effect. I tried both (currently have all my dirt before wah). Whatever floats your boat man, there is no wrong way :) I might change up my order just to give it a try again.
  4. Way to bring back an ancient thread.
    Unemploid likes this.
  5. LOL!

The answer is - wah into distortion if you want to sound rock & roll, distortion into wah if you want to sound like a synth.
    Unemploid and crapusername like this.
  6. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Drive(s) first. Worked for cliff.
  7. i have my 105q before my fuzz. i may a second wah to put behind it.

since my effects are in the pawnshop and i don't know what i'll do with a wah in a band setting, i'm not 100% sure if i'll get another wah or leave my wah before my fuzz

nright now my chain is:

bass - wah - octave - fuzz - amp

i'm only certain that i want the octave after the wah.