Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah/overdrive chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smuttley, Jan 1, 2001.

1. smuttley

smuttley

Sep 29, 2000
    i recently bought a crybaby 105Q, and i link it up to my boss overdrive.
    i know most guitarists have overdrive before wah, but i find with this wah that it cuts the level of "distorted" sound, producing a seperate filtered sound plus the distorted signal.

placing the wah before the overdrive seems to sound more normal.
    how does everyone else link up their wah/overdrive?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When I was a full time guitar player, my wah pedal was the first connection coming out of my guitar. When I use an envelope filter with my bass, the envelope filter is the first thing my bass signal is fed into. I think a wah pedal or envelope filter performs better with a clean uneffected signal and, IMO, should be the first thing in your effects chain.

3. i don't know

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You'll find most bassists prefer their dirt pedals going into wah since this produces a more pronounced wah effect. I tried both (currently have all my dirt before wah). Whatever floats your boat man, there is no wrong way :) I might change up my order just to give it a try again.

5. Way to bring back an ancient thread.

Unemploid likes this.
  6. LOL!

The answer is - wah into distortion if you want to sound rock & roll, distortion into wah if you want to sound like a synth.

Unemploid and crapusername like this.
  7. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Drive(s) first. Worked for cliff.

8. i have my 105q before my fuzz. i may a second wah to put behind it.

since my effects are in the pawnshop and i don't know what i'll do with a wah in a band setting, i'm not 100% sure if i'll get another wah or leave my wah before my fuzz

nright now my chain is:

bass - wah - octave - fuzz - amp

i'm only certain that i want the octave after the wah.