1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wah Pedal as an Expression Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GeddyLeeIsFit, Jul 9, 2017.

1. GeddyLeeIsFit

GeddyLeeIsFit

Jul 9, 2017
    Thick Question:
    I have a BOSS SYB-5 Bass Synthesizer pedal and I've been reading the owner's manual which makes mention of the expression pedal which plugs into the EXP jack. I have no clue what an expression pedal is or what they're for but the manual recommends using the Roland EV-5 which I don't own. However, I do own a Cry Baby Bass wah and was wondering if that would work in place of the expression pedal?

Cheers

2. No, the EV-5 is a Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) design, and your Wah is just Tip Sleeve (TS).

3. alfonso_bundis

alfonso_bundis

Nov 13, 2011
    bassbrad and Zane DeBord like this.
  4. Good suggestion Alfonso.

I was in a hurry when I posted previously, but have now found the refit that I meant to post earlier:
    HACK: CryBaby as Expression Pedal !!

The key really is this part
    Determine what controls your effect pedal (Syb-5) can do, and decide whether you want to control that parameter — maybe you don't even need an expression pedal! (controls filter cut-off and LFO rate, maybe something else)

For example, my Elements has expression in, Dr Scientist's manual says I need a TRS, 50k-Ohm expression pedal. What does it control? The dry/wet mix, clean and distorted. I don't recall ever plugging an expression pedal into it.

My M5 needs a 10k-Ohm TS expression pedal, and with all the things an M5 can do (it's a cool MFX), I could control the Flanger rate, or use the expression pedal as a Wah, or use it like a Digitech Whammy, go from a small hall to a large cavern on a Reverb patch ... — yet, TS is NOT a common expression pedal type (most Exp.Peds are TSR — thanks Line6! :eyebrow:) and the Line6 expression pedal is less-than-fantastic plastic. I found all this out when I plugged my TSR Yamaha expression pedal into it and it did nothing. Instead of using the flimsy cheap Line6 exp.ped, or an expensive Mission wah-style exp.ped, I'm making my own little expression box with a big knob I can turn with my toe...

So, you can see there can be a lot of variation. Roland doesn't list the EV-5's pot value in the manual nor online (THANKS ROLAND! :meh:), but I've read somewhere it's a 10k pot. I've seen expression pedals with 15k, 25k and of course my Elements needs 50k, sssssoooooo... yeah. Lots of variables out there, gotta make sure it's compatible.

These threads may help:
    Best expression pedal for the Boss SYB-5
    EV-5 Expression Pedal replacements?

5. GeddyLeeIsFit

GeddyLeeIsFit

Jul 9, 2017
    Cheers guys this has been really useful!