1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wah pedal, why did I chuck it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkastorious, Jul 27, 2000.

1. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    As many of you know, I unloaded a few pedals via the classified section a few months back, and somebody emailed to ask why I did that.

Well, most of the effects I simply replaced with my standalone unit, a Boss ME-8B, which I love. My gigs lately are either effect HEAVY or no effects at all. Believe me, I have boxes full of toys for my bass.

In the case of the Morely Wah, I simply had NO use for a wah pedal. If you want a wah, the Morley is pretty good, but the Dunlop may be a better bang for the buck.

I found there were (2) scenarios on which I woul use the wah. If you press VERY softly, you can get a semi-distortionly, midrange type of Timmy C sound, which is cool. On the other spectrum, you can push up and down to modulate the frequency change, which is the typical wah-pedal sound.

For the first application, I now use a Boss Bass EQ that is set to where the Morley was sweeping, in addition to a touch of Bass Balls or Danelectro Fab Tone.

In the second application, I hate standing in one place moving my foot, so I have my MuTron III set with a little less than average attack with gives it the 'same' sound as if I ever rhymically bouncing on the pedal.

Hope that answers the question. I'm sure there are guys that love having a Wah pedal, but you can easily get the same sound from other pedals that have more usefulness in the long run.

[This message has been edited by funkastorious (edited July 27, 2000).]

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    funkastorious, enjoying the bass synth, thanx.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And I the octave pedal. Double dittos for me on the thanks.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

4. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Glad you guys enjoy!