Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Apr 18, 2001.

1. I was wondering, does anybody use a wah-pedal? I can't think of any songs with a bass wah.

2. "Higher Ground" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

3. Cliff Burton used one on Anesthesia

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    "Coffee Shop" by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

"Currifunka" by The Billion (my band)

-KB

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    NIB - Black Sabbath

6. I can't believe two people have named two different Chili Peppers songs but no one has said...

Sir Psycho, Sir Psycho, Yeah!!!
    (He's the man that I met one time)

7. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    As far as I know, Geezer Butler didnt use wah pedals, he used 1/4 and 1/2 and full bends. I have a Black Sabbath bass tab book, and in the front, it shows his technique: he plays extremely close to the fretboard to get that nice round sound, and on songs like NIB, he used 1/2 bends. All he does is bend the strings while he is playing the note, thats what makes the wah sound. In the book, it didnt say anything about him using wah pedals. Just thought you'd like to know.

8. no wah on higher ground...there's a voicebox thing....forget the name

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dunlop Heil TalkBox? Or sumthing else?

And I use a Wha, when my guitar buddy wants to lend me his for a few days. Warning: Wha+Chorus+Distortion= Something else entirely...

10. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I just picked up a wah pedal today. An old Morely Black Gold wah. It's built like a friggen tank, but i was getting some funky stuff out of it.

11. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Does it affect your low end enough to be noticeable.

12. Shallow Be Thy Name Is an example of Mr. Balzary using a wah.

13. during the little solo in Power of Equality he uses one...or maybe it is an auto-wah...

Walkabout...that's another tune...

14. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    How much is the Boss AW 3? is it worth buying? im just trying to find out more about effects if you guys could help.

15. I personally did'nt like the auto-wah because when yer not playin while the effect on you get wah noise and you dont really have as much control..(try changing speed mid song) and it's almost impossible to wah in tempo with a song.with a regular wah you can feel it out and go with it,with auto wah you get what you get..

16. Rekesbass an autowah is it's own animal and you can't really compare it to a 'real' wah. It has it's own merits.

17. yes I agree,the auto-wah is a different animal,and it does have its place....but I still don't like it...btw,moonraker was askin about the comparison,I just gave a vague one...MOONRAKER all I can say is try one, you may think it's the best thing since canned beer and they are usually less expensive..especially in the used market,ya might find one for about $50. a new one lists for about $149. but can be had for about $90.I personally like the dunlop bass crybaby 105q (the white one) it has a volume and a "q" control(width of sweep)and does'nt rob yer low's..I apologize for my less than informative info.......later:)

18. cliff burton used a WAH on KILL EM ALL metallicas first album for anestasia, ****in class song too!

hey all i wanted your opinion on wat type of WAH i sould get wat do u suggest?

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT