1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wah pedals to try

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hey, Sep 20, 2008.

1. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Tried out some used Wah pedals at GC today just to see if I could get a good deal. Tried it with a Laguna something (basically a Cort A4/Ocean) through a Markbass Rig. Here's what I tried:

Morley Classic Wah ($20): Absolutely horrible. Don't even think about this one. Absolutely nothing happens below the G string (hahaha, I made a funny). Wah was very weak on everything else. No wonder it was $20!

Ibanez Weeping Demon ($60): Much better, so much control settings, loved the snarl I could get out of it. Probably my wah of choice as of now.

Dunlop Zack Wylde Sig Wah ($80): Basically the same as the Weeping Demon, just more expensive and no controls. Nice, but not worth the money.

Also tried that new Musicman Wah pedal, and thought it was decent. Couldn't really compete with the Weeping Demon or ZW-45 though.

Any other Wahs I should try? I'm looking for a wah that is more or less in the middle of a "shrieking" and "warm" sound, probably more shriek if anything.

2. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    A member here recently did some Wah tests and posted sound clips of each. The Wilson Q-Wah won out easy. FYI, I have an old, 1970's, Morley Power Wah and you can add it to the list of suck.

3. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Where can I find these clips? I did a search on Wahs earlier, but I came up with little...

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I liked my 105Q when I had it. You should give that one a look.

5. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    My buddy tried out the Zakk Wylde Wah on guitar when we were out on a pedal testing session and it was WAAAAAAAYYYYY better sounding than all the popular favourites there including the Bad Horsie II (and I'm a huge Vai fan ;o), Vox, Dunlop Buddy Guy, Crybaby and several others so, am curious how this one could sound on the Bass. It was quite vocal and smooth which I didn't expect from champion screamer Zakk ;)

Have been keeping a careful eye out for my ideal pedal since before the brilliant Wah shoot out thread (which was greatly appreciated). It seems from opinions that the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and the Wilson are the top runners for 'higher-end' Wahs, while the Weeping Demon, Dunlop 105Q (which I own and have mixed feelings about) and the Morley are the other contenders.

Would love to hear of some new options as though there are tons of options on the Wilson, am really unimpressed with the sound clips I've heard so far. So, hoping some other experienced Wah users can do some quick recordings if they own a Wilson.
    Also, would like to hear some demo's of the Fulltone on Bass as my experiments were limited to a few minutes for each of several pedals in a busy guitar shop with limited return options if I buy the wrong one.

6. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    I use a Snarling Dogs Bootzilla bass wah pedal and love it. Personally I like it much more the 105Q. I had one and sent it back. I actually bought the 1st CryBaby for bass in the early 90's when it came out, still setting in a box in the attic...worse piece of poo of all time!

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not tried it, but the EBS Wah One is worthy of consideration, it also has a low pass filter mode which should sound awesome after a fuzz.

8. Jacques Trinity Wah. It can be tweaked in so many ways making it ridiculously versatile and also comes with the coolest expression pedal ever.

9. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    That thread was great, but far from complete. The EBS Wah One wasn't on it, for example.

The WahOne is very flexible and really sounds great on bass. The hi-q and tube-sim modes give it lots of variety, the lowpass filter is very useful with other effects and whaddaya know, it's a volume pedal too! I just wish the control buttons were a little bigger and maybe sturdier.

The much-maligned Snarling Dogs Bootzilla ain't really all that bad. Admittedly, it falls short of its claim of being a bass fuzz wah, as the "swept" fuzz doesn't really mix well with the wah, but the fuzz sounds GREAT, very sparkly and spacey, and the wah alone is very chunky sounding. OK sure, the electronics are cruddy as heck and it pops when you switch the controls, but for 99 bucks it is arguable worth it for the fuzz alone. I would have kept mine if it weren't so darn heavy. It was the Bootzilla or my Mold Spore, and the MS one.