Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah-Pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 24, 2005.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    What is a really good Bass Wah Pedal? Also is the Line 6 bass pod xt live any good?
    Thanks!

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the dunlop 105Q is great, and you'll find it on a lot of people's boards. All of the Morley wahs seem to be fairly bass-friendly too. I did find the Ibanez screaming demon to be pretty cool as well

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Dimebag CryBaby From Hell :D

EDIT: It has 6 different freq centers. The lowest one works great on my down-tuned 4 string (tuned: BEAD). Also has a sweep range adjustment.

4. George Porter of The Meters uses a guitar-specific Dunlop Crybaby- he says it leaves the low end intact.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I like My vintage Morley PWB (Power Wah Boost). However...

There seems to be two predominant schools of thought as far as wahs are concerned. Some like the Dunlops and others the Morleys. You just have to try them both to figure out what you like.

6. seconded. Very good wah. does anything. Gets the job done. <---(notice period)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly. Competely different monsters, handle differently but achieve the same effect. Give both a try and let your foot decide.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

I dont have access to both pedals, and want a wah pedal fairly soon. Does anyone have any clips of these two so we cna hear the difference? (i know I have a thread on this, but I would really like to hear these...if it is against the rules then just let me know and I will delete this post pronto. sorry if so.)

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Listen to Metallica "kill 'em All" for the Morley sound. Frankly it is more agressive, more edgey.

I think RatM's/Audioslave's Tim Commerford use the Dunlops. More subtle, bubblier.

10. i have the morley dual bass wah and i like it. it has funk wah, but ironically, when i'm playing funk i actually like the regular wah. it sounds really cool with other effects too, like my big muff for a big distorted wah sound. it sounds REALLY cool with an ehx bassballs, you can almost get close the "sir psycho sexy" sound. its not true bypass however, and that is the one thing i can think of that i dont particularly like about it, not so much that it sucks tone or anything, but it annoys me when the batteries die and i have to remove it from the lineup.

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    +1. The Boss is on my pedal board. It nails the Dunlop sound, it rocks the Morley, it even covers the Vox sound. Plus it has a decent distortion if you're interested (I never use it as I have other pedals for that) and it has a dedicated bass wah model.

Plus, it's not just a string and a pot like most wahs... it's an optical interface... Which really just means it will never start sounding scratchy.

You can program it to have different patches, too, if you're interested. I just needed one wah type, and it sounds great... I've gone through two Dunlops now, and I hopefully will get years and years of use out of this baby.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    does anybody have a sound clip fo the morley dual bass wah? i found one of the dunlop 105Q (on the Big TB Sample Thread)

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I found myself unimpressed with the Morley Dual Bass Wah and after A/Bing it with the Crybaby 105Q, I picked that one. A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The adjustable 'Q' knob is great, at least for my purposes. I found it more agressive, with more sweep, especially in the higher Q settings.

Graeme

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have to warn you- the Morley Dual Bass is mild compared to the older Morleys. They are entirely different aniumals, even from those made just a few years ago when the Dual Bass Wah (Model PBA-2) replaced the Bass Wah (Model PBA)

I have heard very few impressed by it.

15. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yah, I am kind of leaning towards the 105Q. How does it go with Distortion-> Wah growly wah, and then Wah -> distortion cliff burton thing? Does it sound okay, or gnasty?

16. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Sounds great. I put my distortion before the wah, it really makes the effect stand out more. I have one after the wah too, for some different sounds.

Graeme

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you want Cliff Burton, then don't get the 105Q.

His wah/distortion sound was more influenced by the Morley PWB than the distortion. That's where the nastiness come from.

It is also the pedal I use. Big chrome monster, nice and quiet and built like a tank. $100.00 on eBay.

Downside is- they are old pedals. Like all vintage gear, if they break down then getting it fixed can be difficult.

18. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    im nto necesarrily going for his sound, just that sort of effect. I have a danelectro fab o.d. (much more of a distortion, it retains low end amazingly well but it just gets distortion with a bass, nice overdrive for guitar aswell though) wich I will place after wah and I think i am going to get a behringer overdrvie with a little grit before the wah. Should be great!

19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, I can say that the 105Q doesn't have anywhere near the agressiveness as the PWB. But either way, they are quality pedals. I just happen to be a member of the "Morley" school of wah.