1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wah Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowbass68, Mar 20, 2009.

1. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    First, I think I should know this but am drawing a blank.

I am not looking for an auto wah like the Q-Tron, MXR Auto Q or similar pedals (got those). I am looking for a wah that is similar to a phaser (not in sound of course). It would have speed and depth controls but would not be affected by playing like an Auto-Q.

So, assuming that a Crybaby is equivalent to an MXR VariPhase Phaser. What Wah would be most similar to an MXR Phase 100?

I don't recall a pedal like this.

2. Pikal

Pikal

Dec 22, 2008
    Springfield, IL
    As far as I'm aware, if you don't want auto wah, a standard bass wah is what you want. The mxr phase 100 is just an effects pedal. With a standard wah, you control the speed and depending what you get, where you control the wah will give you different depths. I use a standard Crybaby just to mess around and it suits what I'm looking for.

I wouldn't hold me to that because I don't use really any effects at all, just to play around with.

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Recently got a standard Crybaby 105Q and love it. And I have several auto wahs too and love them. They both have their place. Now I am looking for something that does the sweep automaticly like a phaser or flanger would. Yep I know this is stange but I am stange in my desires and sounds. I know I can simulate this by rocking my foot back and forth at a consistant tempo with the crybaby, but I really am looking for something that will auto sweep and not be affected but how hard you play or anything.

4. so basically what you are looking for is a phaser /flanger that sounds more like a wah?

hmmm interesting, I like the idea,... I tend to just use my foot tho and rock it quickly as needed,... but I use my wah pretty infrequently in a band setting...

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    When I think 'autowah' I think canada.. err an 'auto' wah that modulates on it own via lfo, an auto filter that doesn't do envelope following/react to playing dynamics-- as does a phaser or flanger (although I realize this is semantics, and an 'auto wah' can be thought of as a filter that automatically sweeps based on your playing dynamics- an envelope following filter). The Boss AW-3 does this for instance(iirc). The Gyroscope (im selling) has two modes- Filter modulated by stepped wave (s&h sound) and filter modulated by triangle wave which is similar to a phaser as you described at low speeds and a vibe at high speeds. It also has controls for freq range, speed, depth, output volume and resonance.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    +1, what you want IS an auto-wah, what you don't want is a touch-wah.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    MXR Bass Auto Q can do both envelope and cyclic LFO autowah.

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Moog LPF and Grinder (as well as others with cv input) can do it with a wave source-- you can use a cp251, mp201, modbox, moog phaser or ringmod's 'lfo out' into the cutoff of the moog lpf and 'decay' of the Grinder. The Photron filter has an lfo as well.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008

The MXR Auto-Q does this if I crank the blend to full (around 5 o'clock), set the rate to the speed I want and adjust the range and Q, but it doesn't get radical enough (ie. it doesn't get as deep/wide sounding as my Crybaby or my friends Wilson Wah).

I will have to try the Boss AW-3 and the Gyroscope that fightthepower mentioned.

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    More toys to try. Thanks.

11. Kevin Wilson

Kevin Wilson Commercial User

Feb 2, 2008
    Guilford, In.
    Owner, Wilson Effects LLC
    You should look into the cool machine by George Blekas over at Pedalworx.

12. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    The soundclip on his site sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks. And by the way, my friends Wilson Q-Wah rocks. I plan on getting the 6 position vintage spec sometime in the near future.

13. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    I have the snarling dog. Bootsy Collins Bootzilla. I like the wah a lot, the fuzz is a little obnoxious though.

14. Kevin Wilson

Kevin Wilson Commercial User

Feb 2, 2008
    Guilford, In.
    Owner, Wilson Effects LLC
    You're Welcome:D

15. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    EHX Worm.

now has expression pedal input and is also phaser/trem/vibrato.

It's on my GAS short list.

16. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Forgot about the Worm. I tried a buddies old EHX Worm years back and only remember how darn noisy it was. Never looked seriously into those again, but I have heard that the new XO ones are quieter. May have to check one out.

I looked into the Pedalworx Cool Machine that Kevin Wilson mentioned and think that will work for me. I used their email link to ask some tech questions and they already answered me.