1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wah Showdown!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coolrunner989, Jul 17, 2007.

1. OK - opportunity to wrap up the Dunlop 105Q Bass wah or the Morely wah, perhaps both.

Suggestions on which way to go? I'd be looking for something to do Black sabbath covers and just mess around with

I seem to be doing alot of compare/contrast threads recently...but they help! lol

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Rounds or flats? SS or tubes? Each group has its own proponents. I belong in the Morley camp but I wouldn't say that the Dunlop is inferior. It's just not the sound I have in my head.

3. Old or new? I'd put myself in the Morley camp too, but I've never used a Morley that was less than 20 years old.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i have a morley fuzz wah (old chrome one) which is the best wah i've ever used.
    i sold my dunlop. it didn't float my boat, sound-wise. it's very well thought out, though.

the morley's got such a great range. it sweeps from 20 Hz to 20 kHz (if i'm not mistaken). awesome!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    agreed! I cannot wait to ditch mine for a Teese RMC3

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Who let Michael Moore in?:smug:

7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    IMO, Dunlop is more funky and Morley more rocky. Both are good wahs. A/B them, they're really different.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    This is always a highly subjective issue.

Morley tends to make brighter-sounding wahs with broad frequency ranges. The exception? Their bass wahs, which are much narrower in frequency range and are tailored to the funkier end of things. Plus, those bass wahs are switchless.

If you want something less "ordinary" in a wah, definitely check out the Morley Power Wah (either the current one or the old chrome one), the old chrome Power Wah Boost, or the old chrome Power Wah Fuzz. I should note that all have a switch on the side - they're not switchless.

As for dunlop... the 105Q is funky, without a doubt. It's also switchless and handles like a traditional wah (Morleys are different in looks, size, style, handling, etc.).

I know it would cost more, but it's definitely worth trying out the current models of the Morley Dual Bass Wah, Morley Power Wah, and Dunlop Bass Crybaby 105Q.

9. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I thought the Dunlop was a major tone sucker. I have been intrigued by the vintage Morley Power Wah but would assume that becuase of it's age, it is definitely not true bypass. Based on this, I would guess that when it is not engaged it has some effect on the sound. Does anyone else experience this? Is a mod possible?

10. Chrome Morleys switch the output, but not the input, so the wah is, in effect, always in circuit. To be honest I've not noticed a massive tone-suck problem, but then again I'm no anal about tone-suck either so...

A TB mod is ridiculously easy because there's oodles of room in the enclosure and the Carling 3PDT switch bolts right in with no modifications. All that's left to do is wire it up, and given the tracks and components are on the top side of the board (when looking at the bottom of the pedal) even tracing the circuit to find ins/outs is a breeze. Not only that, but schematics are freely available from the Morley website for all but its current products!

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to what niftydog said. The old ones are ridiculously easy to mod for true bypass.

The current Morley wahs have one of the best buffered bypasses I've ever used. It's good enough that I've never even thought about modding it.

Although if you wanted to... it wouldn't be worth it. Everything's PCB-mounted on the new ones, and you don't have much space to work with for anything other than replacing parts. I learned that the hard way when I replaced the red LED with a blue LED.

Now, that modification was worth it :D

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  13. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    No love for the Snarling Dogs? I've tried every wah being talked about on here (except the Morley) and I have always gone back to the Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster &/or Bootzilla. The Bootzilla is the Bawl Buster but w/ a fuzz circuit. These pedal sound great in terms of low end retention and in your face wah. The only downside would be that they can be kind of difficult to engage and disengage and they can make a little bit of a "pop" sound when turning on or off. The EBS was a great build quality but was too subtle for my liking. The Dunlop was really deep and boomy sounding (it actually added bass and completely re-shapes your tone when engaged). It is also a bit of a tone sucker when bypassed. The EBS allows most of your fundamental signal through and adds the wah effect on top which is why many feel it is too subtle. I've been told the Morley is too subtle in regular mode and too trebly in funk mode. I don't know if this is true as I have not tried it but that is the word on the street.

14. Well there's your problem! :smug:

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1

You need to try the Morley Dual Bass Wah before you bash it. It's built to be funky, unlike most other Morley wahs.

Also... don't forget the Morley Power Wah (current reissue) or the old Morley Power Wah Boost. They're nothing like the other wahs you've tried - and I mean nothing like them!

16. since we are discussing different kinds of wah pedals... Im looking for a more psychadelic wah, rather than funky, this hendrix or cream's tales of brave ulyssys (just on bass)

Any models I should check out?