Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah to Wah! cont'd from Bass Guitar Magazine...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hellrazor213, Mar 2, 2005.

1. GW's Bass Guitar Magazine just came out with this review in the March/April edition. It basically explained how Dunlop and Morley own the Wah Pedal market and gave a review on each of their newest Wah Pedals, Dunlop's Crybaby 105Q and Morley's Dual Bass Wah...

the magazine pretty much calls it a tie, depending on your style of playing...

IYO, which one takes your vote...and which pedal complements your style of playing.

2. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have the Dunlop and a 70's Morley volume-wah. I agree it's pretty equal. The Dunlop gives the full wah range with a tighter up-n-down rocker angle. The Morley has a great tone, but can give the muscle on the top of your foot a work-out. The Dunlop retracts better, the Morley doesn't retract to "off" at all. Both are cool and I'm reluctant to part with the Morley because of its "vintage-ness". I play the Dunlop more live, though.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've got the Morley & I dig it. I only use it in the funk wah mode. It did take a little getting used to as there is a definite sweet spot for it which does work the top of your foot out. I also have a Digitech Bass Synth Wah which has a nice auto wah function, but there is something special about a "real" wah.

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i've always been partial to the tone of a morley. I haven't specifically tried both of these, but generally, morley's seem to be a little sweeter, whereas dunlops can get a little harsh on the high end.

anyone know what type of inductor morley uses?

5. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    i used Morley Wha bass PBA (which is the father of the dual bass). But i recently switch to Dunlop bass 105Q. I like the two but find Dunlop more reliable. Sound can be modern, but can be more odl school two, with the Q knob.
    The morley was more in the modern sound.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ive always been interested in the Automagic Earthshaker Bass Wah. Anyone got anyone info?

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    After owning a Dunlop and selling it a couple of years or so ago, I acquired a vintage Morley Power Wah Boost and love it.

Ted

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I really did not lke either, nor the Snarling dog, nor some other one which I forgot.

I got a tech who takes regular wahs and mods them for bass. Its freakin awesome. You get the true bypass, and then a very nice sweep frequency for bass.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't tried the morley, but wasn't impressed with the dunlop - quality was fine, the sound just didn't do it for me. I use the boss v-wah, and love it.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    There's a thread or two around here about the Automagic. Not a whole lot of info, though. I thought production was stopped on these, and they were just doing the guitar models now. I dunno. Either way, I'm pretty interested in them as well.

11. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Did they review just those 2 or others as well?

I honestly think there is a shortage of quality Wahs out there. I've been looking around and there isn't enough variety available. Dunlop and Morley own the market, but I don't think either one is that great. They're certainly good, but could be much better.

lamarjones had a great idea... get a pro to mod one for him. :D

As far as the Earthquake, here's the official page:

http://www.godlyke.com/product.asp?item=104

New version available in about a month with an upgraded activator.

Expensive, compared to others, but I'm definitely trying one when it's out. I just hope they have a return policy in case it clashes with my... cough, cough... taste.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the automagic a few months back. Looked incredibly cool, but it just didn't sound all that great to me. Or rather, it sounded fine, but not fine enough to justify the price for me.

13. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    That's why I honestly think that the only way to really test an effect is to take it home and mess around with it for a couple of days. We can have all the sound samples in the world, but unless we personally try to make the box do what we what it to do, we won't know if it fits our taste buds.

Especially with all the adjustments on these things.

And, you're right. At $300, the Earthquake should sound 3 times better than a Dunlop or a Morley. I am not buying it without a return policy.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So by that logic, a $5000 Fodera should sound 50 Times better than a $100 Essex, right??

15. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    The only wah I currently use:

[​IMG]

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Is that a touch wah?

17. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Don't take it so literally. But the pedal most certainly should have something in it justifying the price.

It's slightly different for basses. Look, sound, construction, features, and playability come into play. With a Wah pedal it's mostly just the sound quality and it's manipulation.

And I do think that Foderas are overpriced. There are many brands that are every bit as good as a Fodera, yet cost much less. A Hanewinckel or a Sei come to mind. At some point, you really do pay for the name.

The question the company should be asking themselves should be, "Why would anyone pay $300 for the Earthquake, if the $100 Dunlop and Morley are around?".

Although, some people will pay no matter how much something costs if they really like it. I just don't think it's "very smart" overpaying for something you can get elsewhere. Just for the principle of it.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then why would somebody buy a Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth when they can get a Big Muff, or why would they get a Big Muff if they can get a $20 Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive?

Answer: THEY ALL SOUND DIFFERENT, they also have other features. It's all a matter of personal preference. If you can afford it, and it has the sound you're looking for, why settle for something less?

19. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    its just a "parked" or static wah. I once tried to use a standard guitar crybaby that my guitarist had leftover, and needless to say is completely cut off all the lows.

I find out I actually like the tone, but only used the pedal in a certain position, so i bought that q-zone as a more practical replacement

20. NoisemakerD-Lux

NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, yes, but I don't think it's as simple as saying that it just sounds different. For the price, I require it to have better overall quality. Everything sounds different, whether it's good or bad. As you said, that is always subjective and open to personal taste. It really is about quality, not difference.

The Dunlop, for instance. It sounds good, but isn't my taste. I can't say that it's a bad product. But I also don't think that Morley should charge for theirs 3 times as much (hypothetically speaking) just because it sounds different from the Dunlop. Their quality is pretty much even.

And I do agree with you that people will buy whatever they like, no matter how much it costs. Myself included (with limits). That's how a company like Alembic is able to exist. But an Alembic isn't really better than a Fodera and a Fodera isn't really better than a Hanewinckel. That's why it's considered by many as overpriced and this is what I'm talking about here.

All I'm saying is that if the same sounds, sweep + tone ranges, and overall sound manipulation can be acquired from a cheaper pedal, then why should people buy the Earthquake? It better be really different and really special, when compared to others, for the price.

If the same sounds can be obtained from the Big Muff and from the Mammoth, then people buying the Mammoth are really paying the extra $ just to say they have a boutique pedal. Unless someone has a monster in their head telling them to throw away the money. I've never played the Mammoth, but I hope it's significantly better (not just different) than the Muff.

I'm actually on your side of the issue, but, at the same time, I don't like seeing companies take advantage of people and overcharge just because they're able to. Too often companies increase their prices just because the demand for their product raises a little.

This post is too long on the issue. :eyebrow: