Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah troubles

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anubis101, May 28, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ok i have the white dunlop bass wah and someone took the little battery connector cord thing and when i use my friends connnector the wah emits a really high pitched squeal when its in use. is there anyway to get rid of this squeal? new connector cord thing or something?

thanks

2. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ANYONE!!!????!!!!????

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...squealing is a rather vauge symptom. Could be your patch cord, could be your pedal. It might have to do with feedback between the pedal and your amp. It could also be the pedal itself. Might be a result of your EQing, and it's just squealing the boosted frequencies. If your putting it into an effects loop, something might be worng there...or with your amp. Or a freak combination of all of that. If you bought is as a (specifically produced with/for) bass wah, then disregard the next: using a guitar wah for you bass might be causing a tweaking of the pedal, which is designed fo teh higher frequencies of a guitar. Could be a hundred things.

Try a new cord, and call us in the morning...

4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ill be more specific....it cant be the cord because while it happens when i use my amp and the one at my church it doesnt happen on the amp i use to practice with my band on...

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait...so the sound is Amp specific?

6. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    actually when you put it like that yes.the amp that the squeal doesnt appear on has a low range or high range input option. you know, one input says low range the other says high range....well i hafta plug into the low range(the high one is ripped out) and it works fine. the other two amps dont have that option and it squeals...

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    come on surely one of you can help me

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man...I hate to break it to you, but there's so many possiblities at this point that it's kinda hard to tell, especially with a very undefined symptom like "hissing" theres a lot of different things that could be wrong, so it's hard to answer. Sorry bud..

9. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ohh..ok....hmmmm.

10. rayengle

rayengle

Mar 10, 2001
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Can you turn the treble down on the troublesome amp? Is there a bright or treble boost switch on that can be switched off? Is it a real bass amp or a guitar amp? Does it have a horn & can you attenuate it (turn it down or off)? Where are you standing in relation to the amp when the squealage occurs?

- Curious Ray

11. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yes there is a bright switch but i leave it off and yes its a bass amp and no horn as far as i know and im usually standing two or three feet in front of it