1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wah volume drop at heel position?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    got my first wah(wilson freaker), and been having fun with it. One thing irks me though, the volume drops significantly at the heel position(low freq), is it a normal occurrence?

ALso, what are pros and cons of a switched wah? Thanks

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    That's just that specific circuit, which is based on the Tycobrahe Parapedal, by nature. It is designed to have that volume cut at heel down to impart a more vocal quality. This is not indicative of wahs in general.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i see, thanks. is it normal for wahs to have a 'pop' sound when activated though?

Funny thing is, it only pops when i turn on the wah using my clean sound but its find with my dirt sound

4. Yeah, that's just a quirk of the circuit, it's totally normal, mine does the same thing. Part of the reason is that the Parapedal circuit (which is what the Freaker is based on) has a really ridiculous frequency range, and when you are fully heel down, the center freq of the filter is very very low.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    cool, I actually just modded the pedal by placing a shim at the base of the pedal so that the pedal can only be depressed to the audible low frequencies.

Any idea what the knobs does? Especially the 6 position knob. Maybe my ears are not that sharp, but I dont hear much of a difference between each settings

6. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The knob adjusts the Quack, the rotary switch selects the Q/sweep range.