Wah-wah pedal for just one song - Which one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kikegg, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi all,
    I play in a Black Sabbath tribute band and I'm (finally!!!) learning the "Basically" solo before N.I.B. song and I'd like to add wah-wah efect to it. It's only about 40 seconds long and that will be the sole usage of the wah-wah pedal.

Brand new equipment is out of question. Too much money for so little use, so second hand wah pedal is in my sight. Here in Spain there are a lot of Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby guitar wahs available and more or less at good price (50-60€ s.h. vs the 98€ new) and at least one Bass Cry Baby 105Q (100€ s.h. vs 166€ new), one Morley Dual Bass (around 70€ s.h.) and some others that I don't really know about them. I've read that back in the days, Geezer Butler used Tony's wah (guitar wah, I suppose) for that intro and he's currently using the Cry Baby 95Q (at least that what I've read).

Money aside, will a guitar Cry Baby do the work? May I stick to the bass version? Better the Cry Baby than the Morley or viceversa? Any other consideration? No funk, just Sabbath!

Sorry for the broad question and thanks!

2. For that section in particular, the CCB95 will do the trick just fine. It has a more pronounced effect to the signal than the bass version. I think that the Morley is a little too much on the subtle side, so maybe I'd take that at the least option.

If I were you, I'd consider the possibility that maybe you end up the day wanting to use it for more things than a single section from a single song. In that case, the CB 105Q could be a better option because it keeps the low end more intact.

Anyway, after you use the pedal, remember to disconect the damn thing for the rest of the set because the bypass is pretty awful on those. Maybe if you get one of the "new" Crybaby Mini with TBP this will not be an issue (haven't tried one by myself though, so I can't comment about the sound).

Good luck!

3. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks for the reply!
    I don't really know if I will end wah-wahing like a crazy Kirk Hammet (I hope not ;) ) but I'd consider the 105Q if I can get a price drop from the owner.

BTW, one of the GCB95 I've seen has the "true bypass" mod done.
    1875469.jpg

4. The 105Q will work. But if you can try both before, I suggest you to do that. For bass the 105Q is "better" as it leaves the lower frequencies less affected, but it can't achieve the vocal effect that the GCB95 does, wich I kind of like.

I ended up with the 105Q a few years ago but the bypass is terrible, and since it hasn't a footswitch it is more difficult to do the TBP mod (unlike the GCB95). Because of that, I only plug it if I use it in a song; otherwise, I keep it out of my signal. Maybe the new mini 105Q has a better bypass.

So, all in all, if I have to buy a new wah pedal now, I think I could live with the low end loss if I could keep my signal cleaner and more transparent. The GCB95 looks like a good and affordable alternative.

5. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    ibanez weeping demon is very versatile

Dilbert likes this.
  6. Yep weeping demon can get the sabbath sound as you have low, q, volume and can set to either switch mode (stomp on or off) or switchless like the crybaby style... it's a slightly bigger pedal but then so is morley etc. gets my vote!

7. Dilbert

Dilbert

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    I used to own a weeping demon, great pedal and I picked mine up dirt cheap. Only sold it when I got an MF101 with EP2 and couldn't justify the space..

8. Out of the plethora of guitar Cry Babies, I'd get the 535Q ... it reportedly retains bass better than the others.

Another under the radar pedal that goes well with bass is the Snarling Dogs Wonder Wah II, though they have some reliability issues. I've only ever had to re-solder a wire for the LEDs on mine though.

I've seen the Weeping Demon go for dirt cheap, may have to try that one myself.