Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah-Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 9, 2001.

1. Hi!
    Just got a Dunlop 105q Wah for my birthday. Before I got it I had all those Cliff Burton solos and funky Flea stuff in my head, but now, after getting it, I don't think it's so usefull as I thought. How do you use your wah's? I can't help seing it as a luxury item that I really don't need execpt for some stuff that would have done allright without it. Is this just because I don't know how to use it or what do you think?

Lars

2. I tried one at the GC, would have got it, but they didnt have any in stock. It isnt the most versitile effect, but when used correctly, it can really make for some great solos. It wouldnt be my only effect, but I am planning to get one soon, if I can find one used.

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Its a sometimes thing. I have one but only use it sparingly, but isnt that how you would use any effect?

mattbass6945 likes this.
  4. Well said!

A lot of the funky stuff is actually done by using envelope filters which react to the dynamics of your playing. I have found this almost impossible to recreate with my Morley wah. The main approaches I have are rhythmically and for accents (like the trebly 'stabs' at the beginning of Cliff's solo). I also find it quite cool when combined with distortion to hold a note and sweep slowly, Melvin Gibbs and Andrew Weiss (Rollins Band) got me into this.

But brewer9 is right...overdo it and it gets boring fast.

5. Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I don't know what I imagined. But right now I'm using it all the time though, pissing my bandmates off!! But isn't that how it is when you get new stuff? - Anyways, I'm glad I kept the thing, and Smoothgroover: couldn't you allmost imitate an envelope filter with the 105q because its springloaded?
    If any of you have the Dunlop 105q, do you know if the delay ed switch-off could be bypassed?

Lars

6. i fine that the 105q is more for the lower notes than the higher.

7. A lot of those Wah Wah sounds that cliff gets are often confused by his other commonly used effect: EHX BassBalls

Unemploid likes this.
  8. yeah, just wait until your drummer gets a cowbell. payback time!!!