Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah-Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Hi all. I was going to get a wah-wah and I thought, can a guitar wah be used? Or do you have to use a bass wah?And how is a guitar wah different from a bass wah? Thanks

2. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Guitar wahs should work fine. Note fine. Bass wahs are pbviously much better but more expensive.

Go to a guitar store, and try out both a guitar and bass Dunlop CryBaby Wahwah pedal. And just see which is better for the price difference.

3. if you use a guitar wah, it might not pick up all the freq. of the bass. It would pick up the g and d strings, but i doubt you'd notice a difference to the e and a, only minor ones, which would be the overtones being effected. I suggest you look into the crybaby bass wah, or the morley bass wah. Its really not that fun to have a pedal that only works on "half" your bass.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i got a crybaby 105Q bass wah as a gift and i love it. it is a little more expensive than a guitar wah, but it is better in that it can pick up the 'e' and 'a' strings better. it works great, but i dont use it very much anymore. i tried my friends guitar wah and it couldnt effect the 'e' and the 'a' was barely noticeable. i would suggest going to a guitar store and trying out as many as you can. see whats best for you

5. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    if you can find the original morley wah that was meant for organs then you will be elated....anyone who says a guitar wah is ok with bass is lying...they are poo!! i even went as far as to ripping apart a crybaby and adjusted the pots....this worked so so but still didnt get me where i wanted to go.....the best bass wah i have seen is a two part approach....get a cv pedal and a moogerfooger lowpass and go crazy.....the typical wah filter is actually a bandpass which is also called a notch filter......if you can find the morley like the one i have its the "best"(yes i have finally realized i cant swear!) it is made to affect many ranges which is great and it has a growl to it that cant be forgotten......the new morley wahs i hate..i owned one for two weeks and it was so weak that i hated it.........the morley you want has a 120v plug right into it....yes it is a touch noisier but it has a great sound.......btw....anyone else find the new morley bass wah to be gutless.....terrible piece of gear.....

6. are bass wahs alright for low B's?

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  8. Well earlyer today i went up to guitar center an got a crybaby bass wah! i love it!

9. I tried my friends Original CryBaby Guitar Wah...sounded like $h1+ and 3/4! The Morley bass wah is pretty cool cuz it's more of a synth wah! It's groovy.

10. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    ..is this the pedal that has the 120v chord into the box.......? chrome casing?

11. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    What do you guys think of the Danelecto Dano Wah?

I just bought one a few hours ago, went into the store just to browse as I am saving for a new bass but I couldn't resist, had to buy something...heheh

I get the impression that it's kind of a toy, it sure looks like one, figure it probably won't hold up long if used a ton. But I don't tour or even play out for that matter so I figured what the hell, it's was only $69.

As far as sound is concerned I really dig it. It get's 6 different wah sounds, noticibly diffrent sounds. Three different "60's rock" sounds and 3 different "70's funk" sounds. Also has a distortion switch to add to the mix of things. It's meant for guitar but it handles the low frequencies pretty damn well in my opinion. I don't play a fiver though so I'm not sure how the low B would come through.

Anyone else have one? Comments?

12. I saw the Dano wah the other day, but didnt have time to try it, but it looks real cool.

13. i've tryied out a dan electro. it looked cool but it didn't go well with my jazz. but has anyone tried the built in chorus on a Dan?