Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wah wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by my name is me, May 22, 2002.

1. my name is me

my name is me

Apr 4, 2002
    can regular guitar effects be used on bass or do you have to buy effects that are just for bass? i was looking into getting a wah wah pedal, whats a good one thats not too expensive?

2. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've always found wah pedals and bass to be fun in theory, but underwhelming in practice. That goes for whether you're playing through a wah designed for bass or not. IMHO, you'd be better off looking into a good envelope filter...

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Guitar pedals CAN work with bass. But why go that route unless you need to?

To my experience, pedals intended for guitar tend to suck away your low end. I love to play with effects, but use bass-specific pedals whenever possible to ensure the full frequency range of the instrument is preserved. Obviously this doesn't apply to something like a delay as much as it applies to effects like OD/distortion or chorus/modulation...

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i have a cry baby guitar wah, and if i have a deep low bass setting, the wah just robs the lows like nothing else, but it sounds pretty nice with distortion.

5. Wish some exceptions, bass effects are better then guitar effects, some fuzz pedals, like a Big Muff, sounds real good on bass. Some bass overdrives, like the boss OD3 sounds like poo on anything :D

Like anything else, try before you buy and all that stuff..

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Id go for the morley pro bass wah! Ive had mine for a long time now! You will notice there isnt many times you can use one and it sounds nice! I use mine in several spots in songs but just for small timings! Kinda like using it to blur a change together! But i will tell you this if your drummer ever breaks a head or somthing the audience will think its cool to play the damn thing! I have about 15 bass solos that i have written but for some damn reason everyone like the bas wah solo! Makes me mad! Actually the bass solo everyone likes the best is one that i combined several snips of t.v theme songs! Hehe kinda funny to here someone well out night court in a club! get the wah and just play with it!

7. didnt like the morley. i have a crybaby 105Q and it does the job great. you can get it down to about 80 bucks at GC nowadays.

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I didn't like the new Morley PBA-2 but I really do like the old PWA Wah-Volume I have. I have found it's a lot more effective if you turn up the treble on the instrument to give the wah something to chew on.

9. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i also own one.

once again, it does a great job even with the low notes. i dont use it much.. but its fun to play around with

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Whatever you do, DON'T use guitar wah on a bass. A wah pedal is effectively an expression pedal controlling a parametric eq. What that means is that a pedal spikes a narrow frequency band. When you move the pedal up and down it moves that spiked frequency from low to hi. A guitar wah will have guitar-centred range of frequencies in its sweep, for bass that really won't be effective. Check out one of the bass specific wahs if that's what you want. Guitar wahs won't do it for bass.

11. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I'm going to have to disagree with you DanGouge. I have owned both bass and guitar wahs and prefer the guitar wah. There is no "right" or "wrong" pedal to use - use what sounds good to you.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Eric! Did your exclamation point key break!

;)

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hehe NO! Iam just very serious! HeHe

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Hey cool, whatever works best. It's just that, as I understood it, a guitar wah isn't really workable with a bass due to the different frequency sweeps. But if it's giving you the sound that you want then more power to you. I'm willing to bet though that your's is the exception that proves the rule.

15. Guitar wah on bass is a pretty poor sound IMHO.

The best wah you can buy for bass is expensive an is the Teese RMC-3: true bypass, full adjustable.

Since you mentioned affordable, I'd get one of the cheaper ones above and have it moddified for true bypass. I stress the latter because almost more than any other effect, wah's really suck your tone and kill your high end.

16. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    does anybody make a bass wah wah/volume pedal? i know that they have a crybaby volume/wah wah for guitar, but i have not seen a bass model.

thanks

17. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    What types of effects work well on bass regardless if they are guitar specific? For example someone mentioned delay...

18. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have a hunch Morley makes something like this...