Wahs and their technique?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kruton, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I'm considering getting a wah pedal for my bass and I was wondering how exactly you use them. Do you rock them at a beat or use them for emphasise or a blend of both or what? Also which ones are good. I would really like to spend maybe $100-$110 at most.
  2. Uhh just play and use it? Some times I use it as a kind of swell pedal, others its on the beat, other times it just to emphasise notes.

I'd recommend the Crybaby 105Q, solidly made.
  3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    i recommend the Morley Dual Wah. Its much sturdier than the Dunlop pedal. Check out my review on it in the Gear Review section (the tab at the top next to forum).

You'll see in my review why i chose the Morley over Dunlop.
  4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It really depends on the effect you want to generate.

I use it in four ways, personally.

1) I rock it back and forth with the beat.

2) I rock it to emphasize certain parts of a riff.

3) I leave it in a specific position to generate a continuous effect, emphasizing a certain frequency.

4) I do a slow sweep over several bars, sometimes in conjuntion with a phaser.

As far as which one is good, there are what seems to be two different schools of thought on this. Some like the Morley's, and others Dunlops. You have to try each to figure which is the one you like.

I like the vintage Morley's myself for two reasons: 1) The tone is more agressive 2) There is much more physical back and fourth in the wah to generate the effect.

Some people don't like these aspects.
  5. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    You can nab one for less than $50 here or on eBay if you're willing to take that plunge.

I got a "vintage" Pro Series blue Morley wah that I love. No switch, just sweep forward and voila, there's your wah.

No switch does have its downside - activation is a harsh kind of reverse wah, for lack of a better way of describing it, so you have to know when you want to use it and already have it engaged, up to a point.
  6. i thin the weeping demon is great. Far more versatile then the morley or dunlop IMO.

The dunlops have a more bubbly funky sound, while morleys tend to have a more agressive rock/metal sound to them. My demon can do it all, and then some. I posted a review a few months ago, and theres some clips in it. Just do a search and it will pop up as Deeping Wemon Review.

As for use, just mess around with it and you'll find your own style of using it.
  7. steve21

steve21 Banned

I had a Dimebag wah, it was great... I wanna try a Weaping Demon too, though... too bad I'm no longer friends with a dude who had one.
  8. earthtones

Jan 16, 2006
    Gem Alberta
    +1 for the weeping demon. got myself one last week and i love the range of sounds i can get from it compared to the morleys or dunlops i tryed. can really help as far as the technique goes, im still gettin the hang of things myself.
  9. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    What's really important is to put on your best guitar face (http://www.angelfire.com/tx/singlecoil/face.html) and synchronize the toe down/toe up movement on the wah with puckering your mouth and opening it wide open.

then you will be forever known as a wah master!

sorry for the stupid joke... :D
  10. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nobody seems to be sticking up for the 105q, so I'll have to. I haven't played a Morely wah, but I've tried the Weeping Demon. A lot of people say it's a better wah for rock music--I'm not so sure. I'd say definitely try out both of them (The 105q and the Demon and whatever else catches your eye/ear).

Personally, I love my 105q, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As for wah technique--oftem I use it to place emphasis on a single note or a couple of notes, just run it up really quick for whatever phrase, then bring it back down slowly, then run it back up, etc. Rocking it to the beat usually doesn't give great results in my opinion, but it may work for you.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No man- don't get me wrong. The 105Q is a good wah, but like I said it is all about your tastes and what you like.
  12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey no prob--I just saw there weren't really any other views on the 105q other than Vosks rather short one, so I decided to put something forth.

And yeah, it'll all personal opinion. One bassist's secret weapon can sometimes be another bassist's junk :bassist:

13. I love my 105Qs as well and i agree w/ Dash's comments on technique w/ it...check the post your pedalboard thread for a pretty low quality soundclip i just posted of my 3 amp/2 wah setup (audioslave song...pretty much using the wah to emphasize the ascent and descent thru the riff as its rocked forward and backwards)