Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Dec 27, 2005.

1. I've been wanting to get a bass wah for a while now, and after reading the wah thread it seems to be saying that the old Morley PBA is better than the Dual Bass Wah. Is that true, and what is the difference between the two? Also does the Morley have a spring in the pedal so that when you push it down it will come back up (unlike the Dunlop where it just stays down? And lastly has anybody tried the Snarling Dogs Bootzilla Wah?
    Thanks

2. The dunlop 105q (white one) has a spring - and it doesn't have a switch either - when you put your foot on the pedal it turns on.

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    That's how I got mine. Used a V-Wah and then got a Weeping Demon (that broke within 24 hrs of getting it :mad: ). Got a Dime CryBaby From Hell to replace it, a suggestion from the guy at the counter. I love the thing :D , it gives me a good basis for the sound I'm looking for.

That said, I'd recomend to anyone to go out and try as many wahs (both guitar and bass), and decide from there. Don't limit youself to one/two brands/models. I figure I just got lucky with the CFH, damn lucky. I really regret not trying out as many wahs as I could before getting the V-Wah....

4. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I've got the Blue Morley PBA.
    It's a great pedal.
    The pedal has springs to keep it in the up position. You press down...wah it...let it go and comes back up to the normal sound.

-ET

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    +1 on all accounts.

I originally bought my PBA way back when it was the only Morley, sold it in a fit of financial problems, and regretted it. I picked up the Dual Bass Wah and thought the tone was thin in either setting, so I returned it and put the money towards another PBA. Haven't let it go since.

It's spring loaded and switchless (just like the white Dunlop) and I'm not sure about any others. That is the one thing I liked about the black Bass Crybaby. You could Ron Popeil the thing (set it and forget it) for use as a filter instead of a wah. Wish I still had it solely for that purpose.

I've only had experience with these four wahs, and really quick with davidmwilson's V-Wah.

6. Well whatever anyone does, I don't recommend the Behringer Hellbabe. Hasn't really got much of a sound difference on full in my opinion. It was alright for the £30 though.

7. I personally like the snarling dawgs bawl buster. I have not tryed many other wahs but I really like this one.

8. Thats what I meant to ask about the dual bass wah, if the pedal springs back up to normal position when you let go of it?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. It's a switchless design.

10. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    On the dual bass wah- it's very obvious when the switch becomes activated, not cool. You can hear it sorta "skip." I don't know if that is just my wah. But it's very pester-some, and I've been debating between a 105q and a Snarling dog bootzilla if i can ever try one out.