Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waht bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by myszow, May 1, 2005.

1. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    I am about to buy this bass. The owner says it's an Ibanez, but I haven't found anything like this on the net. The problem is that the logo is scratched of the headstock... Please help.

Attached Files:

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Kind of looks like an Ibanez ATK. Anyone confirm that?

3. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    I thought it is something like Musician because of neck-through design, but begin to doubt it's an Ibanez at all....

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Looks like an Ibanez knockoff. How ironic, a lawsuit Ibanez. I don't think they ever offered a block marker neck. The pickup placement is a bit odd too.
    Of course the real questios are "How much?" and "Do you like it?"

5. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    Well... Visually I like it, haven't touched it yet... Price will be ( I hope) about 200$.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Go and try it. If it plays well, and you like the looks, it's a steal for $200!

7. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    I definitelly will try it. Hope for good acoustic sound and playability. Electronic doesn't look promising but it's an easiest thing to change... Still really curious what it might be....

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Maybe yes,maybe no. Those pickups look far from standard, so you might have difficulty finding a drop in replacement. not to mention the odd placement. I wouldn't have a place to anchor my hand while playing.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No.

10. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    That is an ibanez, but i dont know the model. I have seen about 1 billion of those on ebay, just not with the block inlays...

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    looks like an old hohner , but the body and headstock do hint at future ibanez.....hmmm

12. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    go on .... it's getting more and more interesting...

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No. The only ibanez that looks similar is the Musician. This is not a musician.

So, is that your final answer?

14. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    It is the final if there's no better one. Anyway many thanks for help!

15. It is a mystery as to what kind of bass this is but after showing it to a buddy of mine I can guarantee you that it is NOT an Ibanez. I showed the pics to friend of mine who is a guitar tech for Ibanez and he said that Ibanez has never used block inlays as a stock option. On the other hand he did say that block inlays are very easy to install and relatively cheap. In his own words he is 99.99% sure that it is not an Ibanez. If you can find a serial number that may also he of assistance in determining the manufacturer of this bass.

In my own opinion, regardless of manufacturer, for $200 this bass would be a steal if its in good condition and maybe even needing a few slight repairs or mods.

16. myszow

myszow

May 1, 2005
    I'll ask the owner to email me the serial if there's any.... Thanks!

17. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    it might be an old ibanez or ibanez knockoff

18. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    well 'scuse me mr im-always-right-southpark-thumb-guy!

i would like to phone a friend...

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    looks like older carvin pickups
    d

20. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    good point. And Carvin was/is capable of making custom mods like block markers.