1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Waht's the difference in P/U's on these SX's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brick Top, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I am looking at a couple of SX basses...and I was wondering if anyone has tried the different models, and has experience in the difference between them.

I really like this one: http://www.rondomusic.com/bg204bk.html

But I don't even know what kind of bass it is clasified as. Jazz? Or is it just a standard bass? It has two big soap bar p/u's. So how are they different from say...this one: http://www.rondomusic.com/product2408.html

This has the PJ style and the P/u's have the magnets showing(I"m sure there's a proper term for this).

Cheers,
    BT

2. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Anyone?????

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Okay, here are some basics. The BG-204 has humbucking pickups that are a standard "EMG" size. EMG makes several models in this size, but so do a few other manufacturers. The SPJ has one precision bass split coil pickup, and one single coil Jazz pickup. This configuration is common, and is meant to provide a versatile tone mix prom precision to close to a Jazz bass.

The BG-204 has a 24 fret neck that is narrower than the SPJ 20 fret neck. Both are passive with the traditional volume/volume/tone control layout.

I'd like to see one of the BG-204s in person, I'd be interested in how it played and sounded. I would assume it had a modern humbucking tone, but you know what they say about assuming... :)

I would feel pretty confident that the SPJ would be a good sounding and playing bass for the money. I know I like my SX Jazz bass.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I'd like to see one of the BG-204s in person, I'd be interested in how it played and sounded. I would assume it had a modern humbucking tone, but you know what they say about assuming...

Me too!

And I cannot answer any better! But I do have a question for the OP. Bricktop, what type of music do you intend to play? Rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, etc?

5. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replys. I play mostly rock(not metal), and anything else that feels/sounds good to my ears ...from Joan Armatrading to T Rex to AC/DC.

My original thought was whether there was a big difference in the sound between the soap bars on the BG and the PJ type that have the metal showing.

My current bass has EMG selects for pups. Stock ones. I really like the look of the BG bass...and I know there are different styles like a "P" bass and "Jazz bass and even a "PJ" bass. Would the BG be considered a jazz bass because of the way the pups are located?

Cheers,
    BT