Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wait for my old computer to crap out, or replace it now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Wait?

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Do it now?

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. Cheese on your Whopper?

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Just as the title implies...I've been putting it off, and it's on the way out (surface errors on the sys drive). I'd be bummed if it crapped out and I lost the files on it, but I'm always hesitant to spend, especially since my wife (another teacher) may be going on strike in a few weeks.

Thanks for your input!

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hard to say given I don't know what you have, what you want, etc...But I say do it now. If it's on its last legs and you got the funds for a new macine go for it before it dies. Make sure to back stuff up if your worried, I lost alot of info due to a hard drive failure that I knew was coming.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you can't afford to do it now, back up everything. If it croaks on you, no telling what you'll lose. Mine always go obsolete before they die so I end up throwing perfectly good machines in the dumpster. I save them thinking I will do something w/them, and end up w/ 3 old machines.
    If you can afford it, I'd do it now.

4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
  5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    +1

If you are looking for a new computer, get a new iMac G5.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    i voted wait, but definetely back up everything. i find that some of my machines that ive thought to be ready to die have been able to last for up to a year, just with me wading through the crap it puts up. i didnt mind, but im kinda cheap and found the alternative to be less desirable. if your in a good financial system then you could do it now, or you could take this opportunity to save while your computer runs the final stretch. with any luck, by the time it goes kaput you could have enough to pick up a new one.

and yes, get a mac. my sis picked up one of the new G5s with two of the G5 processors in it for about $420 american (500 CAD) and so she got a 23' widescreen super high resolution monitor to go with it. its orgasmic.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Eh... just replace the hard drive, perhaps? Why replace the whole package if only one part is faulty? How old is it, anyway?

8. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Pretty old: about 5+ years, pentium 3, win98.

I'd love a Mac, but just can't justify the expenditure, even with the teacher's discount.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was going to suggest a new Dell with the 17" LCD for $500, but the jump from Win98 to XP is difficult for some people.

-Mike

10. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm actually running xp on a different comp., so I'm used to it. I kept the 98 around for the heck of it.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My suggestion exactly.

12. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Alright, I ordered the mobo and processor...AMD xp 64 3000+, Asus K8N.

The Dell is definitely an attractive offer (in an ugly case), but there's just something about building your own (or at least assembling).

13. Sounds like a sensible combination. The A64 3000+ is a great value for the money, and they overclock by 25% or more on average. My A64 3200+ is running at 2.5 GHz at stock voltage, which makes for the performance of a 4000+.