Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waiter, I'll have a warm tone please?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Howdy, not quite sure where to put this thread so I stuck it here, forgive my naivete. My question is this, what is the best way to warm up my tone? I have a Fender Am. Std. Jazz V and MM Sterling running through a GK 700RB-II and an Avatar B410 and I want to warm up my tone. And yes, I knew going into it that GK and Avatar are far from the world's warmest sounding gear, but I love the tone I have, I just wondered if there was a way to warm it up without getting a new tube amp or something. Compressors, stompboxes whatever you think might work. Thanks guys!

2. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Is there any way to warm up a solid state tone? Would an outboard EQ do the job like the Aguilar db924 or whatever it's called? Or is the only way to warm my Fender's tone, it has Bartolinis in it by the way, to get a tube head? I would hope there's a simpler solution.... Is there?

3. You could try playing with the fat bit of your thumb, at least in my case its a bit fatter than my other fingers so is a bit smoother sounding.

Try messing about with your EQ a bit, cut a bit of the high mids->highs, boost a bit of the lower mids, might help some. Combine that with a bit of messing about with the way you play might help some.

I dunno if you have the same kind of place but Jaycar (electronic odds and ends kinda store) have a little tube preamp for guitar that you buy as a kit. Pretty sure it doesn't do anything but send the signal via a 12AX7, so gives a smidge of tubeness to the signal (comes with an add-on that allows you to go stereo, for what its worth). I've been meaning to get one and try it out, cause I'm not sure it'd work well on the bass, I have plenty of guitarist buddies though.

Sounds like this could almost go to Effects, course I reckon it could also go to Technique, or Pickups. Bit of an open-ended question you've asked, perhaps give us a price limit?

Josh D

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Honestly I don't have a price limit because I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I know all about EQing my sound to get more bass response and all that good stuff, what I'm really looking for is a way to keep my EQ the way it is but just add warmth... like a tube amps warm happy blanket around my solid state signal. If it's not possible, so be it. But if it is I'm curious what I could do, and yes I move my hnads all over the neck to adjust my playing and I know the closer to the neck the warmer and thicker the sound, but I love playing at the bridge pup so maybe for the way I play the only way to get a warm tube sound is to get a warm tube amp. What I don't know anything about are compressors, how do they affect the sound? Would getting a tube compressor solve my problems? Would buying an Aguilar DB924 which I've heard is a very warm sounding pre help me at all? I want a cheap solution if at all possible, but I really want a big list of ideas I can pull from. Thanks guys!

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No, but tube OVERDRIVE might help. When people think of tube "warmth", most of the time they mean the even-order distortion of overdriven tubes (although some people seem to confuse warmth with bass response). So a touch of that will make your rig sound more "tubey". Perhaps not as good as, but far more cost effective than a real tube amp.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Also, you might check out the Sansamp BassDriver DI. Probably the best pedal style preamp/effect. I use mine with a GK 1001RB head, and en eden 210 mbx and/or a hartke 410xl. The hartke is especially punchy, but the sansamp gives it a good tube warmth. It's about the best tube sound without going tube.

7. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    An Electro-Harmonix Black Finger is a tube compressor that I guarantee will warm up your tone.

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Aha! I knew there were answers, is the Sansamp more tubey than the Aguilar? Anyone used both and can point out their differences?

9. Personally I haven't played through either but everything I know about stuff says that the only person who can make an accurate judgement on something as subjective as sound is you. See if you can get ahold of both somehow and run them through your rig, then make the decision on what to buy, especially because it sounds like you can't pick exactly what sorta sound you're after yourself.

Both the Aguilar and the Sans are modelling a tubey sorta sound, so its not going to be a genuine tube sound, pretty good though. Sansamp has a DI out, I always reckon one of them is pretty handy.

Josh D

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You'll find tons of threads about the Sansamp. Just do a search. You'll find a lot of opinions.