Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WAITING FOR A NEW BABY!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo people,
    I've just ordered my new baby yesterday!!!
    Since I've sold my laurus fretless,I've decided to go for a Wal fretless 5!I've always been in love with that basses!It will be ready in 6/7 months!!!!That's very good for me,because I can save the money in this time.
    It will be a Mach 2 style body,since Peter "the fish"Steven told me that it's heavier than Mach3,but the best for fretless.
    Now,
    please let me know your favourite woods option between these 3:

1)
    claro walnut/high gloss finish

2. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
  3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    3)
    peter's raccomended wood for fretless:American walnut.It's not so beatifully figured,but with a nice finish I still like it.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    They are all very nice, but the American walnut in the last picture looks a little plain compared to the other ones. Perhaps that wood is avaliable with a little more interesting grain? I think it is important you like all aspects of the bass now that you will order your own (expensive) custom built bass.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'd go for the more figured wood, myself. But, I like the looks of the third bass - it really looks to me like a birdseye maple with a dark stain though? Hard to believe that's walnut.

Congrats, man! I've got Wal-lust myself.

6. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Yes,
    the american walnut it's not so figured;that's why I would consider it with a nice coloured finish only.....even if Peter immediatly suggested it as the best for fretless!
    In my Fax to Peter,I told him to fell free to choose the best sounding option among the 3.I trust him.
    Geshel,
    I agree with you:the 3rd pic shouldn't be walnut:but it still gives the idea of the final result.
    That's american walnut,of course:

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh. OK. I think I get it. :)

Funny that all three varieties come from America, I think (Claro walnut is from California).

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How thich is that top going to be? The question is, how much is it going to affect the sound? I can't really tell from the pictures, but if it's less than say 2 cms, it's not going to make that big of difference. So, depending on how thich the top is, go with the prettiest wood. It's all walnut anyway! ;)

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hi Hujo,
    your point makes sense to me.
    I don't know how many cm the top is.
    Can you see it from that picture?

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    typically, builders use 6.35 millimeter top woods.

1/4 inch.

looks about that from the pic. but, i have old eyes.

i'd be torn between the figured and his recommendation.

swirly walnut is one of my all time faves!!! but, i'd say that his recommendation should weigh pretty heavily.

pretty nasty mess you're in there!!! ;)

oh, i love wals too! CONGRATS!

f

11. Your bass will be awsome. Pete made me a 5 string fretless about 10 years ago and it was fantastic. It was a mahogany core with flamed maple top and back. The sound was fantastic.. I had to sell due to it's heavy weight and my bad back.

You can see it at the Wal website, walbasses.homestead.com it is under bass of the month for November/December 2000.

You will not regret getting a bass from Pete tehy are just so good.

12. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you Flhodshon!
    You made a perfect picture of my situation:I'd like a figured top a lot.
    But Pete's point of view is "heavy";he told to me:"Amer. Walnut is ideal for fretless;it never let me down"....
    My decision is tough expecially if you consider that it's impossible for me to find and try a Wal,here in Italy:last time I tryed a wal it was years ago....and it was fretted.
    A guy should never buy a bass without trying it:but I had no choices.Even the biggest italian stores can't handle with the high prices of the fretless basses I considered:pedulla Pentabuzz;F-bass;Wal.
    They have tons of Warwick,Music Man,Fenders...but no chanches to try Smith,an Mtd,a Fodera,a Furlanetto,a Spector,etc,etc......Even less chances to find a fretless of that brands.

13. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thanks!
    I supposed they were hevy weighted...:(
    But I'm sure that Wal is the kind of fretless I'm looking for.
    Oh,my God your bass was amazing!!!!What's the name for that finish over the maple tiop?

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i know what you mean about trying before you buy.

that's one of the TB tenets!!!

BUT, with a builder like WAL, i doubt you'll be disappointed.

you know...this is how i'd feel.

if i bought the american walnut, i'm sure i'd be blown away by the tone. but, in the back of my head...everytime i looked at it...i'd get this nagging:

"MAN, i REALLY wanted the figured walnut!"

if i bought the figured walnut, i'm sure i'd be blown away by the tone. AND, everytime i looked at it..i'd go:

"MAN, i'm REALLY glad i got the figured walnut!"

just a thought.

:D

f

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    If I know who I am......I worry that I'd have just the same feeling of you.....
    The very good thimg is that time is on my side.

16. Amoilbasso

Thanks, my maple top was finished with a gold acid wash. Pete saw it a couple of years ago to give it a check up and couldn't remember what he had done to get the effect.

It is an amazing finish though as it glows in daylight and even more so under stage lights and has the most fantastic fretless sound and endless sustain.

I chose the body at his workshop out of a number he had already made up and then he built it into a fretless for me. Even though it is was not a first choice wood for Pete to make a fretless out of he said it would work and boy did it!

Although you might not get the chance to play one before you, they are amazing basses, and he has an immence reputation for fretless basses.

Go for it you will not be disappointed.

Matthew