1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Waiting for my first boutique pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by octaverazor, Jun 27, 2012.

1. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    So I really like stomp boxes. Like, a lot. After joining this forum I realized I'm not alone. Now, after drudging through over the counter effects pedals and amassing a respectable stable. I final, after reading through countless threads and internet reveiws, pulled the trigger on a Malekka B:assmaster from Pro Guitar Shops. I hope I dig it as much as I think I am.

I am also hoping you guys can give me the lowdown on some cool pedals. Any pedal fuzz, delay, filters, whatever. Also some cool and reputable sites to purchase said pedals. Here's to hoping I won't go broke!!!!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Fuzz: DMB Bumble
    Boost/hair: Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B

3. I've been loving my Team Awesome Fuzz Machine by small sound/big sound. I think either a Wonderlove or a Xerograph Deluxe (both envelope filters) are the next boutique pedals coming for me.

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Prymaxevintage.com is a great store.

5. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Prymaxe is a great dealer that is always running a coupon of some sort, Pro Guitar Shop is almost always running a coupon once you get on their mailing list but they don't advertise it explicitly on their web site. I also buy direct from the builders about half the time, or on the used market. There are a few great builders out there that barely have any distribution through dealers, I love my Mountainking boxes TO DEATH.

As far as some effects that I'm currently in love with:

Fuzz: Mountainking Magnetar (gated fuzz)
    OD: Mountainking Behemoth II (overdrive up through distortion)
    Filter: Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe (Really want to try the new 3leaf Wonderlove also)
    Chorus: Iron Ether Polytope (technically not 'just' a chorus, it's a polyphonic pitch shifter that does the best chorus I've heard)

I also dig the other stuff on my board but, like with delay for example, I really haven't tried too many so while I can say that the El Capistan is really good, I don't know how it compares to much else.

My own purchasing preference is Fuzz/OD > Filters > everything else.

6. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Def gonna check out prymaxe!

7. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair

Jan 28, 2011
    France
    ...and so it begins.

8. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Prymaxe has been awesome for a good while now, I had shopped with them on eBay/PayPal before those jackasses went all sour with their rules, fees, etc. Booted eBay and still trying to kick Paypal, but Prymaxe never changed... TalkBass is late to the fun...

9. thebass905

thebass905

Jun 7, 2011
    PRYMAXE IS THE BEST! Especially if you live in jersey, make an appointment, and say "I want a good fuzz". And then they bring you ten boxes, hand you a bass, a vintage Ampeg rig, and say go to town kid!

10. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Yeah I looked at prymaxe last night. Cool store!

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    There are a lot of cool boutique deals to be had out there. Some have new prices that are competitive with the mass-produced stuff. Malekko, for example. Barber pedals are quite affordable, as well.

Boutique doesn't always have to mean EXPENSIVE (more than $200).

12. octaverazor

octaverazor

Jun 3, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Yeah Malekko got some cool stuff. I really like the 616 delay.