Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waiting for my new toy (Jacques Trinity inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I'm just about to order my Jacques Trinity (I'm waiting for the answer).

[​IMG]

I'm really ecxited... :hyper:

I'l let you know of course what I think of this black (and green) beauty. For what I know so far, it's a wah, an autowah, a stuck wah and an envellop filter, in one little pedal. Not even expensive... What could you ask more ???? :D

2. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    does it work alrite for bass though?

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well, I don't know ! I'll see this when it arrives. I think so, Jacques stuff works great on bass usually, and I can't imagine him working on an autowah, forgeting about the bass players.

4. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    cool, im intrigued

could you post some samples when youve got it?

5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I've a lot of sound clips to do... As I've not really been home thoses days...

But yeah, the time it arrives home I think I'll have more time to do. It could be interesting to compare it to the famous Qtron for example.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yes, I've been dying to hear more about this pedal. I'm betting it will kill your QTron.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love this little thing.
    I don't really need ANOTHER wah and filter but it's a great box.

8. I certainly dont NEED one, and I dont even really use the Q Tron I bought either, but damn do I want to buy one of those trinity pedals. Just seems like the right thing to do.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wait... what does this think do? What does the tube/black thingie do?

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    if my memory serves me correctly, pressing down on the black thingy is the expression element of the wah, that is, it acts just like a wah pedal except it uses air pressure.

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    im pretty sure i heard bass samples of the trinity on his website and remember them sounding really good.

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    There is no bass samples on his site (or I haven't well looked). But I'm sure it will sound good... I don't know why, but I'm sure ! This guy do such a good work... I'm really happy with his overdrive I bought (the Tubeblower).

The little thing aside is a controller, we can use this pedal as a traditional wha thanks to this (according to Jacques, it's pretty easy and comfortable to use). But it seems to control other features, I don't know excactly what yet. I'll tell you all this when I recieve it. I really can't wait !!! :hyper:

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    when i get new pedals i like to let them sit there, look at them, read the manual, turn the knobs... it usually takes me a few hours to actually plug them in! enjoy~

14. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Yep, I understand that ! :)

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Here is it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So... A few entering words.
    The ads ( http://www.jacquesstompboxes.com ) say it's a wah, an autowah, an envelope filter, a stuck wah, in one single pedal. I was waiting this toy to be my autowah/envelope filter, better than the Q tron. I was wrong. It's not that.

The principle of this pedal is not clearly explained on the website. As far as I understand it, here is it :
    It's a wah filter, envelope filter, call it how you want. It quite simple, not really adjustable (no Q factor, no time factor such as autowah decay, no up or down selection, it's a UP move). The thing is that it's triggered by 3 things, traditional dynamic envelope followers first, pump second, and third, the new thing, a LFO.

The start frequency is adjustable with "Manual". The sensitivity with "Sens". The "Rate" pot controls the speed of the LFO and the "Depth" pot controls how much the filter is controlled by the LFO. At zero, the LFO is not used.

The pump is a traditional wah controller.

So...

*all at zero, we've got a wah, with the pump. Beginning frequency adjustable with "manual".
    *raising the "sens" button, we have an autowah/envelope filter. Same as below for "Manual".
    *sens at zero, with "Manual", we've got the stuck wah.
    *and depth at more than zero, we've got the rotating effect of the lfo. Great thing. New, so it takes a while to be used to, but I must say it's quite easy. I use it like I use my phaser, or almost. Synchronising the attack with the moves, you can get a up or down autowah, time-controlled. Pretty cool. The pump cancel the oscillation, pushing the filter up. But with a range of variation, of course.

I need to understand how the 3 things interacts, now.

Here is the main. I tested it only a few hours, so it needs to be confirmed.

To be honest, I was first disappointed, as I was searching for a "better Q tron". But now, realizing it's just something different, I love this thing. I may got a Q tron later to add a more traditional autowah, but for now, I keep this little green and black thing, it's an amazing toy. Really, a new effect. I seem to remember Moogerfooger puts LFO everywhere, maybe there is stuff like that in theyr pedals ? Anyway, it's not a usual effect to use. But it's great, really great. A new range of sounds...

It needs some time to understand how the filter is, to really use it a good way. But after that, it's a pleasure.

I'm happy. :hyper:

16. any clips?

17. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I have a ton of soundclips to do (for that and other stuff I have). I'll try to do some these days.

18. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Here you have !

All at zero, you have a wah with the pump :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/trinity/wah.mp3

It becomes autowah with a little "sens" pot :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre...ity/autowah.mp3

All at zero, just "manual", you've got the Stuck wah. At the end, I switched a few time between filter at max and bypass. To let you notice that when the filter is at max, it's almost the same as a bypass.
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre...stuckbypass.mp3

With the the LFO alone :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/trinity/lfo.mp3

Mix off all :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/trinity/mix.mp3

I used the pump sometimes, it pushes the filter up. Sort of bypass, used like this.

So... It's a great thing. And... I haven't really used the manual setting, the depth setting... It can produce a lot of sounds, when mixed.

Enjoy !! And buy it, it's a must-have !!!!!!!! :D

19. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    sounds cool, how much did that set you back?

20. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Set me... :confused: Do you mean how much I payed ? I paid 150 euros, shipping included.

If that's not the question, please excuse me, and ask it agin in another form, maybe I would understand better...