Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Waiting For The Floods" - The Armoury Show

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by volker, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Does anybody remember the british band The Armoury Show ? They consisted of ex-members of The Skids, Magazine and Siouxsie & The Banshees. They were around for only a short time in the mid '80s, though. "Waiting For The Floods" was their only album and their bassist Russell Webb played some really good stuff there, nice tone too (for example on the song "Glory Of love").

2. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    I love that album. It has awesome basswork (fretless too!). I don't like how some of the players are given aliases in the liner notes, like The Universe or whatever. Thanks for reminding me of the album. I will listen to it now!

3. The Captain - Richard Jobson (Vocals)
    The Legend - John McGeoch (Guitar/Vocals)
    Universe - Russell Webb (Bass/Vocals)
    Doylie - John Doyle (Drums)

...yes, that's a bit stupid (apart from the drummer!:D). I saw them on TV doing a live show, back in '85, and they were even better there than on vinyl - too bad the album's not available on CD... and I'm still searching for their songs Ring Those Bells and When The River Runs Dry as mp3s.

4. You're welcome :)

5. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    Ah thank you. Yeah, I suppose the only player I didn't know was Russell Webb! I actually bought it because I'm a big Magazine fan. You can order the CD online at either www.ab-cd.com or www.hmv.co.uk.

And, yes, I always hear that their live show was better. : /

6. I actually have the album on CD (plus some of the stuff they'd recorded afterwards). Its songs were the first ones I tried to find on the web when I bought my PC two years ago. But of course it's all mp3s with vinyl source. So thanks for the two links...and I think I should also check out Magazine at some stage :) @ PSouth

7. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    You MUST check out Magazine! All four of their albums are worth getting.

1. The Correct Use of Soap - 1980 (very tight, more new wave and funky)
    2. Secondhand Daylight - 1979 (very dramatic, bass heavy, dark, almost goth)
    3. Real Life - 1978 (their most "art-punk" and also their most highly regarded and popular)
    4. Magic, Murder and the Weather - 1981 (very much overlooked, but still a great album. more synth and dense)

Of course, they all have excellent bass playing by Barry Adamson. He's my favorite bass player in rock music.

8. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    This is UNREAL!!!

I just bought this CD about a month or so ago. You can easily pick it up from Amazon now. That's where I got mine.

I had very dim memories of hearing "Castles In Spain" once way back when it first came out. I was very intrigued by it. I even stole that name for the studio band I was in at the time.

Upon listening to this CD recently, I was completely blown away. There is some real finesse on everyone's part on this disc. And, the arrangements are rather progressive. It's amazing how much work must have gone into making this album.

Too bad the band was so short-lived. This was killer UK 80's rock!!

9. Seems the album has been re-released on CD not too long ago then?! At the time I was searching for it, everywhere it said "never released on CD". Yes, I think so, too - they were a good band with some really nice ideas. The vocals remind me a bit of Roger Daltrey, by the way. ;) @ Winston TK

Thanks for the Magazine list! It will help me heaps in downloading some of their stuff! :) @ PSouth

10. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Just who produced "Waiting For The Floods" anyway? I can't seem to find an official production credit anywhere in the liner notes. (Although a couple of engineering credits are mentioned, like the ever-cool Gavin McKillop!) Sounds very much like a classic Steve Lillywhite deal to me.

And, volker, yes...this title has only quite recently been released on CD and is now fairly widely available. Thankfully! I visited the Track Records website originally, and was going to order it there. Then, on a whim, I decided to try Amazon and....voila!....there it was.

The basslines are stellar throughout. But, for me, "Sleep City Sleep" is an absolute standout.

Thanks again for bringing up this near-forgotten gem of an album.

11. My pleasure! :)

According to what the internet says, the album was produced and also engineered by some Nick Launay guy.

My favourite has always been the song "Waiting For The Floods" - I remember Russell Webb played the bass line with a Moog Taurus pedal synth when performing it live while also playing the 2nd guitar.

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I had the album when it was released on tape. It suffered some mishap years ago. I saw the Armoury Show twice in the same month and had the T shirt (white with blue writing). The guys I went with gave me a heads up that the band used to drink in the venue bar before the gig. I managed to have a 5 minute conversation with Russell Web. He had 2 fretless basses (Precision and Status ) and an Aria fretted he used live.

The story goes that the record compant sank a fortune into recording the album and got bought out. The new management did not want to support the album and released it with little or no advertising. THe band broke up and John McGeogh joined Public Image and Richard Jobson became a TV presenter. I don't know what happened to the other two.

13. I found out that Russell Webb is a PC game inventor now. But John Doyle...? *shrugs*

14. PSouth

PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    Chicago
    I think I recall hearing that Doyle did some acting, though I'm not sure. The Magazine website might say: www.shotbybothsides.com

15. ...well, sort of - it says "has also a film career ?"

16. When I saw them live on TV back then he was playing a fretted bass with a body similar to a Fender Telecaster guitar (if I remember correctly). So that was an Aria?

And thanks for the information on the reasons for their disbandment - I've always been wondering why they'd actually been around for only such a short time. @ CS

17. Ooooooooooh, I must check out this band.....

*adds to list for when trawling shops....*

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, I remember seeing them on WDR television's 'Rockpalast' ages ago - a GREAT live gig.
    I remember listening to the album in a store the day after, and unfortunately I thought back then that it wasn't worth buying since it lacked the power of the live gig. I wish I'd bought it anyway.

19. That's exactly where I saw them, too (1985)! I still have the audio tape somewhere. I think Squeeze were playing that night also. :)

Shortly after their "Rockpalast" gig there was an interview with "The Armoury Show" in the good ol' German musician's magazine "Fachblatt", and there Richard Jobson reckoned himself that their sound on the album is rather "neat" compared to the live one...the guys were a bit frustrated back then about Sting playing around the same places during their tour and of course people rather going to see him instead of them.

PS: Welcome back, JMX - I hope you enjoyed France! :)

20. Rummaging in the CDs at the City Library I came across A definitive guide to Magazine which has songs from all four albums on it. Have it playing right now - not bad! :)