Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waiting on Bill Lawrence J-45s to be made

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzmonk, May 6, 2005.

1. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    It's been two months - 1 month overdue :( . These seemed like the best option for my Rockbass corvette 5 given the limited selection of 5 string jazz pickups for odd string spacing. I started getting impatient a week ago when I entertained the idea of just getting a 4 string P/J of which there are plenty of aftermarket pickups to choose from. Are the J-45 pickups worth waiting for or should I cancel the order and just get a 4 string P/J? Will it growl in bridge and thump in neck? Or is it too hifi like the MEC actives that came stock in the Rockbass?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

never had them but a set just went on ebay for under $70. Probably should have bid on them cause they don't surface often but I've had a bunch of recent incoming so passed.

Pups are relative depending on a lot of things. I'm guessing, you could find another set that would sound so similar (if not better) for under $100 bucks used as the ones you'll be recieving. Any of the current pop stuff is good, ultra's, etc. You don't have to pay a lot of money or wait weeks for good tone. I've had some custom pup sets by Fralin and others. Personally, I'd guess you could as easily be disappointed or impressed by the BL's as anything else.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
  4. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    There are two reason why I ordered it:
    1. I could never find it on ebay and when someone has them for sale in the Talkbass marketplace, I'm too late.
    2. The 16.5mm spacing on my Rockbass 5 string limits my option to Barts and Bill Lawrence. I wanted passives and I found out too late that barts were passives. Your 'J' shootout shows that Ken Smith J45 is another option. Believe me, I didn't want custom, I wanted mainstream Dimarzio/Duncan/Fender but they were not viable for my string spacing.

On the verge of ditching the 5 string bass for a more convention 4 string. The only thing holding me back is that I like the string spacing and it would be a hassle to sell it.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Aside from maximizing tone options from the pups, 4 fingers so 4 strings for me so I don't know what the 5 string options are but I do know that string spacing is irrelevant in my experience - as long as the perimeter strings are within the bounds of the magnetic field so they won't drop volume when bent away fromt the pole pieces, internal string spacing relative to the poles is irrelavant (at least for bi-poles).

6. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I've been waiting for my BL P-46 for way over a month. I had one in a 98 Fender P-Bass. I feel it will be worth the wait. I liked my BL J-45's so much I replaced my Sadowsky pickups in my Metro and won't go back.

7. jazzmonk

jazzmonk

Feb 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Well I gave up and asked for a refund. Becky was very prompt and cordial about it. Apparently there were some difficulties getting supplies, I'm guessing I'm not the only one waiting past the promised time frame. :cool:

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've got one if anyone is interested. PM if so.

9. I just talked to Bill yesterday, and he said there were some development problems. The J45's are going to be made a week from now. Patiently waiting for my set. :hyper:

James

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Trust me, they'll be worth the wait. I love Bill's J-45s.

11. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Mine arrived on Saturday. Now I have to get going on my project bass (Warmoth body, Modulus neck), can't wait!

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm waiting for a J45 to mate with a P46. The P46 is sweet, sweet, sweet! I may have to wait a bit longer though as I ordered the J45 along with a set of pup's for one of my Tele's. I ordered these based on having XL500's in my hollow body jazz box. Best humbucker I've ever heard.

Lawrences aren't the only choice out there and the wait for custom is a pita but they are really, really nice sounding pickups. Worth the wait IMO ...