Waiting on my new Modulus Flea J5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eViL cAkE, Feb 11, 2002.

1. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    About a month ago, I got to try out a Flea 5-string with the J-style configuration pickups at a music store, and was quite impressed. I had tried a Flea 4-string with the MM style bridge pickup about a year ago and it wasn't really me, but the newer J-style version is way cool.

What sold me on this bass was that it has a much better B string to rest of the instrument balance than any other old school/traditional stylized 5-string I have ever tried...even (gasp) the Fender Roscoe Beck. It is also one of the most comfortable basses I have ever played. The tonal contrast between the neck and the bridge pickup seems somewhat exagerated too. When you solo the neck pickup, you get this late sixties acid rock rumble. Solo the bridge pickup, and It'll damn near cut your head off. Then of course, blending the pickups gets you anywhere between these two extremes, making it a highly versitile instrument.

I ended up special ordering one instead of going with the one they had in the store, because it had a gloss finished neck, while I prefer a satin finish neck, and had just a basic gloss black finish with a flat white pickguard (looked kind of generic). The Modulus Flea J-5 I ordered has the optional three band onboard eq controls, the standard Bartolini pickups and preamp, dual volume knobs instead of the standard master volume and pickup blend knob, a satin finish neck, and is a gloss purple finish with a white pearloid pickguard.

I ordered it about a week ago, and can't wait 'till I get it.

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

For whatever reason, the Flea Bass gets a bad
    rap around these parts. I think it's really cool.

I have a Quantum 5 myself with Barolini's and
    it's an excellent instrument, although sometimes
    I think I'd be better off with a 34" scale like
    the Flea has.

I spoke to Rich on the phone once about what
    it would take to make my gloss finish satin, and
    he explained to me that the process is nothing
    more than rubbing the back of the neck with a
    steel wool brush. He assured me that I couldn't
    hurt the neck -- but I have had the courage to do
    it yet.

Did you consider those Villex pickups? I'm told
    they're something else...

So you were feeling royal and order up Purple, eh?
    Sounds nice...metallic? How long for Modulus to

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats! The J5 got a great review in BassPlayer awhile ago... they gave it their award for innovation, as I recall.

I adore my Roscoe Beck, but my Modulus Quantum has incredible string-to-string balance (not to mention a Killer B). I guess the Quantum would be considered new-school, but graphite necks are wonderful IMHO.
  4. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Captain Wally,

I thought about the Villex pickups, but the bass I tried in the store had the standard Bartolini setup, and it sounded astounding. I didn't want to screw up a good thing by ordering a different electronics backage sight unseen, or sound unheard rather.

I wanted the metallic purple finish, but they discontinued it (something having to do with it contaminating the other colors), but they added purple to their standard gloss finishes, so I went with that.

I was told that it would take six to eight weeks for Modulus to get it to me, which means about four to six weeks from now.

I so can't wait. It'll sound killer through my Aguilar 659/QSC RMX 1450/Aguilar GS 410 rig.

:D :D :D
  5. It's obviously near-impossible to tell how gear combinations will work out, but that rig sounds like it will be freakin' awesome! Do let us know what you think.
  6. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I love my Flea Bass 4 string now that i got a new one with no finish damage. It took modulus about 10 weeks to make my bass, and they shiped it right to me, it is great, i love the tone! I Didn't know they discontinued the purple metallic, did they also discontinue the purple flake, i heard they stil do that on custom orders. I would have got that if i had realized they made it when i ordered mine. But the silver flake turns any color light you shine on it. Have fun with your new bass!