Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal 5-string Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimothy60, Aug 24, 2004.

1. A new pawn shop opened down the way from my house and they have a Wal 5-string for sale (with HSC), it looks exactly like the one Paul McCartney used when I saw him in the Houston Astrodome in 1993. They are asking $550.00 for it, it appears to be in excellent condition. Is it worth the $550.00?
    Any opinions?

2. It's worth about 4-5x that much.

Mike

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    *gasp*

well, of course it depends on the condition, but in general
    $ 550 for a WAL is an excellent price.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's worth about $200. PM me the name and number of that pawnshop and I will set them straight!:mad:;):p

5. :O:O

You lucky B***************

that firggin £300 in my money..

new they are £2300

Its a steal buy it... and its Wall so u wont wanna sell it quick either..!!

*is still envious of Mr Zimmermans collection of hippie sandwitches*...

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    A pawnshop down the street from ME has an old, beat up Fender Jazz bass that appears to be from 1962...it's sunburst (which is cool) and I was gonna buy it, but some goober appears to have yanked out all the frets (doesn't look like a pro job either) and spread nasty epoxy all over the fingerboard. They tried to tell me it was worth *at least* $250, but I'm thinking that it would cost me at least that to have the fingerboard sanded or replaced and some frets installed.

They also have a nasty looking old sunburst precision bass that might be from the same year -- also really beat -- with the word FUNK carved on the neck. The good thing is, this one has frets. Here's the bad: They wanted $175, but I told them the graffiti on the neck at least took some of the value away.

I told them to call me if they got any used Ibanez in.

Just kidding. Couldn't help it.

Will

7. Those damn pawn brokers...ALWAYS trying to snake you outta a few extra bucks! Ha!

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I wish the pawn shops in my area were that ignorant.

9. Nah. I'd pass on it. They're junk.

Just kidding of course. Sorry, but the sceptic in me says beware. You know how it is when things sound too good to be true. You may want to look for the telltale Wal name on the bridge and other such details to verify that it's really a Wal. Good luck.

10. The location & address is on its way to your PM ! What a rip-off fooking pawn shop :spit: :D

11. If its real. Then its gotta be stolen.

No one who owns/have owned a Wal would pawn it at those places.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I lived in Nashville in the late seventies and early eighties and I used to constantly scour the pawn shops for guitars, basses, amps whatever. At that time most of the pawn brokers only knew the "big" names at the time i.e. Fender, Gibson, Martin. If it wasn't one of those they didn't know how much it was worth. I bought a pre-Kramer Spector for $200 with hard shell case for an extra $60, a series 1 Alembic for $550 with case, countless Aria Pro's, Ibanez's and Yamaha's never paying above $300 for any of them. I kept my friends and myself in great equipment for very little money for a good long while. Ah those were the days.

13. Where do you guys live man? :p Nicest thing I've found sitting in a local pawn shop was a Carvin Bunny Brunel of some type. They wanted just under $700 for it. Other than that, everything I've found here has been s***. lol For example, I was looking around in a few, a week or so back, and one of them had an OLP Musicman Copy with a neck that could be used for a bow, and no way to straighten it, because the truss wheel had been snapped off. Price on it? $175. All too typical of the local pawn shop goods in my area. :crying:

14. Yeah I would say that is definately hot. If you have no problem with that then go nuts. I am sure if it was a real owner who pawned it, they would not have let it go for less than 500 bucks. I could be terribly wrong though. heh, the devil on my shoulder says, go for it! :hyper:

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Heroin does crazy things to musicians. I just bought a guitar worth around 2k from a guy for 300 dollars. I didn't ask questions. I just paid the man.

*I did check and make sure it wasn't hot though.

16. Not to Hijack the thread,

But i hear alot of tales where muzo's get alot of deals from junkies and thieves for quality gear at obviously hot prices.

My question is say you play a gig and some guy comes up to you and goes, hey man thats MY BASS! *assuming of course that in fact that is his stolen bass*

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Then I say, "Go to the cops, file a report, if it is indeed yours I'll give it back and the Pawn shop will reimburse me." It would be a magical occasion.

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :bawl:

I sometimes wish I lived somewhere around there
    :bawl:

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah and even that Jazz was broken into pieces and then glued together... and they wanted $250 for it... pfft...
    And they called it the Bass Of Doom... how pathetic :rollno:

:D :D :D

BTW wasnt Funk written under the neckplate?