Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wal and bongo.How simmilar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I've been wanting a wal for a long time really bad. I can justify the price to pay for a new one or used one thats not a problem. But you have to have the money first. I no a wal and bongo are very diffrent from build materials and quality but Is the bongo tone close enough to catch the walish sound. I no it will not soud dead on or replicate most of its sound but can it get its standard typical tone that you here in alot of recordings?

2. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I've currently got 6 Wals and am getting my first Bongo this Thursday, so I'll let you know. ;)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    6 wals? Awesome.

4. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I've never played/heard a Wal but i heard a Bongo being slapped to death yesterday at GC in Chicago.
    An old skool slapper,who looked a lot like a younger Stanley Clarke,sat down with it and put it through a helluva workout.
    He was thoroughly impressed...the dual humbuckers had an Ampeg Stack quaking...clean,clear and powerful.
    He slapped an Alembic Epic,Warwick FNA Jazzman 5,Fender Jazz 5,Stingray5,Spector Rebop5 and a Warwick Thumb5.
    His list:The Bongo,FNA Jazzman, Stingray and Fender.
    He went back to the Bongo as we headed out the door.

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'll be very interested to see what you think, Lowell.

I've had EXTREMELY limited exposure to and time with a single Wal, so it would be difficult to compare, plus the setup on the Wal needed some help.....

....hey, Lowell? I'm not making this up. As I was typing this thread, the UPS guy rang the doorbell. Some kind of bass or something.

I may have something to add to this thread in a bit.

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    HA! :hyper:

...so Bovine now has 4 Bongos and a Wal.

Enjoy!!!

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Couldn't have timed it better, eh?

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    If you got a new toy bovine pleast post pics :hyper: To be honest you and hippie with your love of bongos and his of wals could probbaly give one the best reviews of comparision.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They are both basses.

10. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    I have it on good authority that this bass is currently "on assignment" at Camp Bovine:
    [​IMG]

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    6 Wals????? OMG!!!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pretty.

13. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Thanks, its a former "Bunnybass":
    [​IMG]

And for even more useless trivia, if you go to the Wal bass website, the pic to click on the "5 string" section is that bass as well. :ninja:

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have zoomboy's old mach III incoming tomorrow... I'm psyched!
    [​IMG]
    I had a bongo 5 H/H for a while, it was definitely reminiscent of the Wal I owned back in the 90's.

15. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
  16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I hate you guys. :ninja:

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Don't hate me because Hippie's Wal is beautiful.

18. Wals sound EXACTLY like Bongos when plugged into 1500 watt amplifiers with all knobs at 10 connected to a pair of 4x10 cabs and then struck with a 14lb sledge hammer.

AWESOME SOUND! (Just remember to change the speaker cabs between playing) :D

19. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Looks like there are a few new Wal-nuts around! Hey, congrats Bovinehost and Davidmwilson!

It's a well known fact that "Hippie" owns some (not all - at least not yet) of the most beautiful Wal basses ever made. I don't know if I should offer him congratulations or my condolences on the Bongo - I'll have to read the review.

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ahhhh yes. That beauty of a Wal had a stay at Camp Cheeze. It sounds every bit as good as it looks. Enjoy Jackson!