Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal and Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, May 10, 2003.

1. Here at last are a couple of pictures of my basses past and present. The frst time on the same thread.

Current Sei 7 string [posted many times but still my favorite][​IMG]

2. My Ken Smith 4 string fretted BSR4J custom[​IMG]

3. Last but by no means least, my old Wal 5 string fretless which I sold about 18 months ago:bawl:

It was a great bass but too heavy[​IMG]

This is the first time that I have been able to get photos of my current and previous basses together in one go.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Nothing much to add really, the pictures speak for themselves!

Beautiful instruments!

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Those are some fine looking basses. All of them are lookers.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool basses. why'd you sell the wal?

7. John

I sold the Wal in the photo and also a white fretted 5 string because they were too heavy for my back. They were over 12lbs each! After I had sold them I had a number of back operations which cured the pain and the long term back problem so now I am left with memories and regrets.

The Ken Smith [fantastic sound and playability] was a lightweight option so I could continue playing and the Sei was ordered when my back became better and I could handle more weight. I know I am very lucky to have these two brilliant basses.

My bad back was also the reason I sold my rig and started to always play direct into the PA and use inhouse foldback for monitor so that I don't have to carry amps around.

It all seems to work but I do miss the looks and sounds of the Wal. To me it is a legend. But I am not complaining the Sei and the Smith are rather good repacements.:D

Matthew

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, wow, that sucks. well, at least it's good to hear that your back is doing better now.