Wal Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Nov 21, 2001.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Does anyone know where I can get a hold of a Wal bass guitar??? im a huge tool fan, and i know justin chancellor swears by that bass. the only thing i know about that bass is that it has an awsome mid-range sound (hence why he uses it).
    thank you!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Getting a Wal because a player you like uses it is simply the wrong reason. Anyhow, there's a used one on www.bassnw.com I would think.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Also, specifically he started using it because it had more mids than the Stingray. Really, it's got a lot of sounds, very powerful EQ on board. But, as far as I can tell, his sound doesn't have much midrange! :D

The biggest seller of Wals in the US is Bass Central. www.basscentral.com.

They aren't cheap. I would really suggest trying out a bunch of different basses in that price range first.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Wals are indeed rare in the States, though Bass Central seems to stock quite a few--they're probably the only ones over here that do. THere are a few US dealers, though--what part of the country are you in?

Plan on spending bout $3k for a new one, or $1500-$2000 for a used one, if you can find one.

I've got one myself, though, and there are a few other folks around who are big fans, if you have any questions.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've heard a few players get wonderful sounds out of WAL basses and they are cheaper in the UK. But I have had the chance to play a few of these basses in London and I couldn't get on with them at all.

I mean I really wanted to like them but firstly they seem quite big and bulky with thick necks that are hard to play. Secondly they have strange - non-standard tone controls - I was told they are parametric with a Q control. But despite playing two of these for about 20 minutes each I couldn't get one usable sound out of them. Well - not a sound that I liked and the guys in the Bass Centre in London couldn't tell me how to get a sound I liked out of them. Whereas there were dozens of basses I tried at the same time where I could get a great sound within seconds.

I've seen 3 or 4 in other London shops, but again they weren't very playable and I'm afraid that now I don't even bother plugging them in!
  6. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
  7. they turn up on Ebay from time to time
    don't seem to be any right now though, but I've seen as many as 6 at one time in the past
  8. sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Oh man. We should have bought all the used wals for 1500.00
  9. Oh hindsight, how you taunt us so!
  10. HA HA HA, I thought it was just me.In the mid 80's I had the cash, I took train to london, sooooo wanted to love them (huge mick karn fan).No matter how hard I tried to convince myself that I could work with it, I just couldnt get on with that odd neck profile, almost triangular.:eek: I wanted to cry when I walked out.:rollno::bawl: Now if only they would sell the P/u's and pre amp as parts. :hyper::hyper::hyper::bassist:
  11. sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Check out SGD Luthiery. He's working on building those exact pickups, and a similar preamp.
  12. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I remember having a Wal 5 in 2001 that I eventually traded for a Rob Allen because no one would buy for it the price I had it listed..$1700.
  13. rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Off topic but why does bassnw's site look like its from the late 90's? Haven't they updated the layout?
  14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Wait, wut?
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

Holy thread revival, Batman!
  16. What's 10 years between friends? :eek:
  17. 10 Years....was that not the extent of the Wal waiting list up till it was taken over by Paul Herman!:D Pehaps I should have kept mine;)