Wal Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Nov 21, 2001.

1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    They made them with different neck profiles if you didn't like the V shape...yes I know it's a bit late now.
    Two of mine are C shaped, feel much like Fender/Musicman necks (just with flatter board).

2. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Yeah I finally got to play one, nothing wrong with the bass at all, I didn't mind the neck and thought the controls were cool once you realize they are set up different. It just didn't do it for me, kind of like stingrays. People get great tones out of them, their well built etc. There's just no magic in them for me. :(

3. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Love my Mark IIIs...all Wal and great ergonomics. Love my Mark IIs...all Wal with more booty...but a bit on the heavy side.

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Holy crap! A 10 year old bump? We might have a record on our hands. Posting in this thread is posting in history, gentlemen.

5. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    For some crazy reason, I didn't like the look of Wal basses back then & love the look now...

I don't know what happened, but I assume their progression from ugly duckling to swan is the reason for the rise in value...

6. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I absolutely agree. I've just finished watching the Funky Monks documentary (thanks Santa) and the Wal MKII that flea used looks now as sexy as it sounds!
    Never really took to the Wal look in the past but they seem to look so right now!
    Maybe Wal was just ahead of it's time as their styling seems to fit in better today along side the modern boutique market imho.
    Also it's kinda funny to think that Flea loved the Wal for recording but thought it looked "dorky" therefore not cool enough looking for live work. In the past I would've agreed but now I love the look and think that Wal looks cooler than anything else he's been using since.

Right, apologies for the crazy time-travelling thread. I'm gonna jump back in the De lorean coz I gotta get back to 1985! (and buy up a truckload of cheap Wal!) ;-)

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I remember when I made that post.

8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    It's when you come across posts you don't remember making that you start worrying. A couple of times I've searched for answers to questions that I've been pondering, only to find myself answering my own questions in old threads. That's freaky. I have to put it down to baby-induced sleep deprivation - 2 years of it now... :eek:

9. It's really a shame that such a great bass doesn't get enough circulation here in the U.S. I've always wanted a Wal for the exact same reason as the OP did (Huge Justin Chancellor fan here and I don't care if that's not a good enough excuse for some of you to own one) but because of the fact that I'm in college and don't really have money laying around to spend on basses (let alone 5k for a wal which is what I'd pay on their website), I settled for a "knock off" Stingray. That's right, I couldn't even afford a REAL Stingray! I'm still happy with my tone and all, thanks to my sansamp I get a very solid "Tool sound" now and I'm grateful that I was able to get such a stellar sounding/looking bass (it's a SBMM Ray 34 with the sunburst finish incase you're wondering) but it certainly doesn't pack the mids of a Wal and I see why JC stopped using the 'Ray shortly after he joined TOOL.