Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wal Bass Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I'm seriously considering getting a Wal. So I was hoping I could get some reviews from some owners or possibly some people who've played them extensively. But I'd like to hear from anyone that's had experience with one. The overall tonality and quality is what I"m mostly concerned with. I've heard so many different tones come out of the Wal basses, the most famous probably being the Justin Chancellor type tone or the really popular slap style tones. But I've heard the big and soft stuff from the guy from Porcupine Tree as well. Are they really as varying in tone as I think?

2. played Wal fretted and Fretless 5 strings exclusively for about 10 years. The craftmanship is second to none. The playability is supurb and the range of tones is as wide as your imagination.

The down side is they are heavy beasts and the reason that I stopped using them. My weak back [bad back problems] could not cope with the weight.

Matthew

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Good luck if you intend to buy a new one - from what I've heard Pete 'the fish' is about to hang up his bass making boots. Second hand would be the only way to go. IF Pete were to carry on there's about a year or more of a waiting list (depending on who you talk to).

Anyway, they are great instruments. I love my battle scarred 1983 Mach I, and it's every bit as good as the newer instruments and very flexible tone-wise (can be a bit of a pain in the arse as the EQ is different from most other basses out there). As many people will tell you, you should play one (if you haven't already) just to make sure that they are the bass for you. Also the neck dimensions vary quite a bit from one bass to another from the ones I've played, but that's custom built basses for you!

The Dudepit has a Wal forum and there's a Yahoo group for them too - check them out before going any further in your search.