1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wal Bass Stolen in Montreal from Kristian Dunn of El Ten Eleven...

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by chrisp2u, Apr 14, 2010.

1. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    :cool:

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    AWESOME! :)

3. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    How is this coming along? I hope the pawn shop is cooperating with the police. I have heard horror stories where stolen items were found after 30 days in a pawn shop and the shop did not have to give it back. I don't know what Canadian law is like over there.

4. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    They don't have to give it back at all.
    If they are nice they will sell it for the price they pay for it. But they don't have to give it back. And if they are not nice they will sell it for the price that they have it in store right now. Even if it's stolen.

5. bass12

bass12 Why are you shouting? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Technically, the pawn shop is in possession of stolen property. I don't know how they could get away with not giving that property back to the rightful owner. Then again, I'm not a lawyer and the law doesn't always make a whole lot of sense...

6. +1

7. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't know how to explain it, my english is limited.
    But they bought the bass with "the best intention" they asked for identity cards, they guy who sold the bass to the pawn shop probably sing a paper saying it was not stolen etc...
    I know it's not much, but there is a not a lot more they can do.
    And since they do "their best" it's not their fault.

Unfortunately that's how it work. We have seen it many time before. You see your TV at the pawn shop and the only way to get it back it's to buy it from them.

8. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  9. bass12

bass12 Why are you shouting? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
  10. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    So what is the current situation on the bass is the pawn shop refusing to release it and can anyone just walk in and buy it now?

11. The fact of the matter is. The outcome of this bass would/should be NO DIFFERENT than if this was a car. If a pawn shop should buy a "hot" car or a motorcycle it has a "serial number" and when a police report is filed with the "VIN/Serial number" as the case is with this bass. When the police would discover a stolen motorcycle with a matching serial number that is on their police report ......the police ARE NOT going to let the pawn shop keep it. It dont care where you live in North America. Its not going to happen. This is why pawn shops have INSURANCE for this very fact. They arent always going to be perfect in making sure an item isnt stolen, but this bass has a serial number....a police report with the serial number and an owner who can prove that bass with that particular serial number is HIS.

Now if we are talking jewelry thats a different story. You shouldnt be saying stuff like..."oh the pawn shop does not have to return it" because you dont know what your talking about. If you dont believe me ask the pawn shop yourself what happens in a case with an item that has a serial number that turns up to be stolen AFTER they buy it.

IMO if the pawn shop owner refuses to give it up....or their is some weird Quebec provincial laws that exempts him from returning the item....should be publicly shot in the HEAD at close range, because any lamen or pawn shop owner could have found out that the bass was stolen in about 5min on the internet if HE cared at all.

That is all

12. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    AFAIK, it is the pawnshop's responsibility to make sure the items they are buying are not stolen. The pawnshop is at risk if it makes a practice of buying stolen goods. That is against the law. The practice of taking ID and signature from the seller is there so that information is recorded on who sold the items to the pawnshop, in the event they are found to be stolen. That information in no way protects the pawnshop from having the items seized by police if they are found to be stolen property. It simply shows due dilligence for procedure.

In my case, I had purchased a cabinet from L&M, only to have it stolen out of my friends car not 30 minutes later (we were gone all of 10 minutes!). A couple of weeks went by and a friend who was looking around in the pawnshops nearby where it was stolen, found the cabinet. I had filed a police report, along with a signed description of the cab and serial # from the guy who sold it to me. The next morning, a police officer accompanied me to the pawnshop and recovered my cabinet. The pawnshop received a warning that the police would now be keeping a closer eye on them and that they would be shut down upon further incident.

13. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    From El Ten Eleven's facebook:

"El Ten Eleven (official) Kristian's stolen Wal bass found and being sent home! Wooo!"

14. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Just saw that. Glad it's finding its way back home.
    ---
    c

15. Monotheist

Monotheist

Nov 24, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    What an awesome ending! :bassist:

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Very cool...another new fan. Hope the Wal returned safely.

17. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    The danger of gear theft can be anywhere, but when it comes to Canada I've heard stories about people getting their gear stolen in Montreal more than anywhere else.

18. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    Be very careful in Winnipeg also!! Especially car break-ins.:mad:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021