1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wal bass thread and new price discussion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackElan, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    I am just starting this thread because I had back to back Wal basses ordered since they reopened in 2010. It's not that I had tons of money to be able to do this but my friends were in the music biz and as soon as I got one I ended up trading it away or selling it for more than I bought it for.

I am very stoked on the Wal I kept a 2012 Justin Chancellor spec MkII and because of circumstances beyond my control I did not do anymore follow up orders and wish I had.

I see the price is now 5500 British pounds for a 4 string mkII. So if you live in the USA after shipping and import duties its close to 10kUSD for a single bass!

I thought the early 2000's price of 2500 for a new one was a steal and honestly each one I got for 5-6k I ended up making money on but really wish I had kept.

I really would like to order another Wal soon but I believe the new pricing has really pushed it beyond my reach.

Have you guys seen their twitter? In the gallery they have a Zembrano topped mkII that's not finished but I would love to see the completed product.

Wal Basses (@WalBasses) | Twitter

Anyways I am not trying to bash or start a hate thread. I do believe they are great basses despite the price and am curious if you guys have any basses on order? What specs? Did you recently get one before the price increase? After? How do you like them?

I love mine and no regrets other than I wish I ordered a fretless with walnut and ebony in mkII config.

Also my question is I wonder how CITES will have an effect on incoming basses to the US?

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Long time no see man! Thought you dropped off the face of the earth!

Anyway, yes the pricing has gone up considerably since he restarted mid 2009. In fact I ended up buying the second completed bass (Mk2 4-string) that he finished june 2009. I have since sold it and replaced it with a gloss black Mk2.
    But I have now owned a total of four of the new Wals, and of the new ones currently have: two 2016 Mk3 5 strings, and a 2015 Mk3 4 string.

Your exchange pricing is quite a bit off though, the exchange rate has gone down 20% since 2012. So a current £5500 pounds is going to be $7200. Add 350 shipping and another 340 Duty fee. And your in it $8 grand US.
    Yes I currently have on order a Mk2 red gloss finish and gold sort of geddy bass, but its still not going to be 10 grand.
    However the current order time is now 24 months.

You should have posted this in the Wal club thread where there are more new recipients that have received basses since the CITES changes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    Hey Caca De Kick good to see you as well. Yeah, I had been out of the gear scene for a number of years, burned out, long story, music biz, you know how it goes...

Feels good to be getting back into it and finding the joy I did a number of years ago jamming with friends and other musicians.

I know my math is a little off on the Wals but some of the options and stuff I would want could bring the price to over 9k. I remember paying 1k in import fees last time. Plus DHL or UPS or whatever sevice Paul used to send the Wal last time charged me by not only weight but by the dimensions which brought the cost to close to 700 dollars.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    When my two Mk3's arrived last year UPS Customs office classified one as an electric guitar instrument, and classifed the other as an acoustic guitar instrument which evidentally is alot more. So I paid nearly double duty on one of them. When I researched the class codes to find out why, they wanted pics and catalog proof for me to submit the claim. It was more pain that it was worth, but edjucated me to make sure the classification is done right from now on.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

6. Hey Sam (it is Sam right?), sorry if I'm confused lol...

Holy cow dude!.....where have you been hiding?
    You were in the service correct?
    I thought something had happened to you......good to see you back.....and please post some pics of your MKII Birdseye in the Wal Bass Club!..

7. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    I think you're confusing me with someone else, never been in the service, except I have installed a few smoked telephone poles in the past...

Hope that makes you remember, lol. Mod's it's an inside joke I hope I wasn't out of line for posting that. It won't mean much to anyone but Mr.Toolmybass

I hope you're doing well. Send me a PM if you want to shoot the poopie. Long time no see.

8. PM sent

9. One thing to consider when thinking about how expensive Wals are is UK costs in general.
    Prime example is fuel. Average cost per gallon in the UK is £5.22,nearly $7 US.