1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wal basses to start production again soon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Its on the pickup and electronics forum here...I will have to search again...

2. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    7-8K? Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I don't remember seeing one sell for that in the past 6-8 months. 5-6K yes, but not 7-8K. Am I wrong?

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Alan Cringean of ACG is a member of the TalkBass Luthiers Forum. here's his thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294044&highlight=acg

There are also a number of threads show the progress of his various builds for TBers

4. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    china.....now theres an idea.

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Exactly, he's going to have to charge a lot more and will the product be as good?

You will have pre crisis/shut down Wals and what ever the future holds Wals (hopefully)

It could be similar to Tobias

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    what is the essence of a wal...?? .i guess it wont be the tuners.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  8. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    with all due respect and its a big if ...but if those two guys were given the gift of health and longevity...they would be in china right now churning out wals like you wouldnt imagine....

9. Apart from the general appearance and design, it's all about the pickups and circuit. Wal's electronics are unique.

The humbucking pickups use one coil per string (along the lines of the Ovation Magnum's big pickup), and the circuit provides each pickup with a dynamic low-pass filter with switchable bandwidth (Q) and a treble boost (caled the "pick attack" control). Lots more variations in tone shaping are available with this setup, and the pickups sound like nothing else.

10. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Awesome, thanks for the link, I'll be listening asap.

11. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's actually 2 per string.

12. Sorry, my bad... had a brain fart there. :) Meant to say that it's effectively one humbucking pickup per string.

13. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    so why havent any of the big players taken up this technology....the tone from those pickups is intense!!

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Like I said if you listen to the soundclip on the page I linked to, the mudbucker clip sounds "close" to a Wal, at least to me (maybe not exact but I think pretty nice) I would be happy with that tone for $400 for the ACG preamp and some humbuckers.

15. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, those ACG clips really do sound great. Nothing like a Wal, but extremely diverse tonally. This might be due to the pikcups used, though...I should jump on one of these before something happens to Alan ;)

16. bigsnack

bigsnack

Aug 24, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have to agree. The ACG pre sounds extremely versatile and diverse, but not really anything like a Wal. I really think the pickups and their location are the meat and potatoes of the signature Wal sound. Maybe one day Carey Nordstrand will get an itch that will have to be scratched...:smug:

17. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I had the chance to try both a Wal and one of the very few non-Wal but Wal-pickup-equipped bass. A major part of the Wal sound lies with the pickups and electronics. I am tempted to try the ACG/East preamp in the near future

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Why don't they just get Peavey to make them? I'm sure Peavey could keep the price down below $800...

19. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Wal bass + Flea's fingers = "Give it away"
    (just an example among numerous others)

The return of the Wal basses would be GREAT news, really.

20. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    :confused: is this for real? I'm really bad a detecting sarcasm...