1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wal basses to start production again soon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Like I said, at some point someone will be making them again. Or, parts of them. If Pete doesnt sell the rights before his health fails, someone will (be it his next of kin, former coworker, whatever) The only reason they are not in production now is because of one person, otherwise they would be taking orders left and right.

2. The funny thing is, that song sold a load of Stingrays for Ernie Ball... mostly because Flea played one in the video, and because Flea was generally associated with them at the time. There must have been quite a few disappointed Stingray owners wondering why they couldn't get the "Give It Away" sound on their Stingrays.... :D

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Anyway, no matter the bass, and even with a Wal, if you don't have Flea's very specific (and hard) right hand attack, you won't even come close to that tone. :p

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm never sarcastic. Never.

5. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh!!! You could have really fooled me :D

6. Ur strange
    :bag:

7. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    There were a couple MK III 5-strings that went for over $7k last year.
    What ever happen to the MK III /5 that The LowEnd was asking $12k for?

8. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
  9. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: With US economy in the shape it's in, buying a Wal isn't something that many American bassists can realistically contemplate at the moment anyway, I suppose!? It's a sad irony, as demand on your side of the pond (I'm in Europe, BTW ;)) appears to be far higher (at least in numerical terms) than in the UK, where the basses hail from.

Also ironically (IMHO), it seems to be Justin Chancellors' sound that is fuelling the majority of the GAS attacks :confused:. His tone is soooooo far away from the warm, burpy, woody, breathy sound that the instruments were largely famed for in their native country, that I can't help thinking that a lot of people might actually be disappointed if they ever got their hands on a real one! Frankly, I got closer to copping his sound from my StingRay than I did from my Wal Custom (which I sold a couple of months ago :(, BTW). Anyway, I'm not here to bash TOOL fans (I'm a bit of one myself :smug:. I meant "a fan", not "a tool" :eyebrow:).

The question I wanted to raise was about the design of any future Wal basses :meh::

What kind of look would you all most like to see on any future Wals? Exact re-makes of the MKI Custom shape from the 1980s? The whole range of MKI, II & III body shapes re-issued, or something completely new :) ?

Much as I liked the sound of my Wal, I did I always feel like it looked just a tiny bit "cumbersome" and a tad "local craft fair" in appearance ..... :bag:.

Seriously, don't all mob me at once :p! I'm just saying that this design hasn't been seen around much at all since the 80s and by the time any new production models are offered, it's probably going to be way after 2010!!! (Actually, weren't we all supposed to be living in space by then, according to 1960s cinema :meh:)?

So, should the new company change anything at all on the new basses, or would that simply be sacrilege :eek:!?

Let's not forget that the new builder is no novice and (if it's who I think it is ;)) is already making some of the finest basses on the planet! Could it be time for some new input? Do we "fear change", or is it a case of; "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it" :(?

Personally, I'd like to see a slight revision to the basic MKII/III body shape, to give it a Jazz Bass-like assymetry (for better weight distribution). As for the neck, slightly more taper to make it fatter at the "high end" would be nice, as the old one was quite narrow and felt almost parallel (a little bit Rickenbacker like), which seems a little out of step with contemporary tastes. I don't really see how a "thru-neck" construction could hurt either :eyebrow:. Not traditional Wal, I know, but it works pretty well for just about every other major "boutique" builder :meh:.

Of course, Wal are (and hopefully always will be) "custom made" basses, so certain other options, like a choice of neck profiles (many people found some of the necks to be too "V"'d, although I didn't ;)) could easily be provided. Ultra-light tuners wouldn't hurt either :meh:. Those Schaller BMs are pretty hard to find now anyway and the bass could do with going on a little bit of a diet :smug: (mine was 11.00lbs).

Anyway, there's my $00.02 (and then some :D)! Enough of playing "Devils Advocate" ... What do you guys think :)?

10. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    The LowEnd Wal is a Mark II I believe.

I purchased my fretted Mark III from John Jowitt in late '06 for about $3800....needs a bit of work to be finished....but I still think it was a good deal. Pete was already out of production at that time.

11. I think it's important that any new Wal basses stay contemporary. Much as people might want reissues of the old models (and I'm sure they'll get them), a rejuvenated Wal should try and keep up with the times rather than just trading on past glories (not that it's done Fender any harm... :bag:)

Use the Mach III as a starting point, and bring it up to date from there. The Mach III had an asymmetric neck heel, a downsized (but still recognisably Wal) body and headstock, and still had all the Wal tone. Maybe revise the body shape slightly, use some lighter woods and ultralight tuners, and use that as a basis for a new range.

12. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    And here I am still on the lookout for an old passive Pro 2....Leigh Gorman, you have a lot to answer for!!!:crying:

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with what you said here! Me? I want the Geddy Lee Power Windows tone. That is my holy grail of bass tones. I can get "close enough" to Tool's sound with my Jazz bass and tons of effects. I really dont think Tools bass sound is a good representation of "The Wal Sound", even though I am a big fan. ;)

14. i've heard nothing but good things about wal basses, and the idea of a fully custom bass gets me going :D

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    bumpage

16. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Oh you know John Jowitt!?!? A super nice guy :)!

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Andy (Fender32), while you raise many interesting points, I'd be quite happy just to see the MK II's back in production!

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Exactly what happened to me back then, okay, I admit I only got an Ibanez ATK because I couldn't afford the real thing, though. I eventually got even more suspicious when I saw a live recording of "Give it away" which demonstrated that he himself couldn't even get that fat tone on the album. When I read that only a couple of songs on BSSM were recorded with a Ray and the rest with a Wal, things suddenly made sense. :p

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was speaking to a friend of mine recently, a bit of a "Flea fanatic" as he puts it, who was thinking of buying a Stingray so he could "sound like Flea".

Then I told him about the Spector. And the Modulus Flea bass. And the Jazz bass. And the Wal. And the Alembic....

Flea has many tones, and sounds completely different on a Spector compared to a Modulus, which in turn sounds nothing like his jazz bass! But if you're after the "Give it away" tone, a 'Ray won't cut it.

20. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :eyebrow: Would you really, Chris :meh:? You know that you'd have to sell that spare kidney if Wals were back "in the shops" :D.