1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wal basses to start production again soon?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 13, 2008.

1. To me, without that Wal tone, BSSM would not be half the album. Observe that StingRay get so lost in the mix in 'The Righteous and the Wicked'.

To me, Flea is a retarded punk rocker that could have the Peppers sounding huge forever but instead went for 15 years of light & fast basses, and people ranting 'rhcp not the same band anymore'.

It's unnerving to see the guys @Woodstock 99 pretending to be hittin' any real Give it Away vibe - when there's none of it there - half of that is the fat badass bass!

Also most people talk about electronics but if by 'Wal sound' you mean the thickness of it, IMO you are looking at that mahogany core in the body, and generally the properties of that body, not EQs or filters. Or else, you would be able to cop that out from some pedal boxes in the floor as well. It's in the wood..

2. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    I always thought Overwater could've done a good job with the Wals. Chris May was a very good friend of Ian Waller's and thus has a strong connection to the original team.

3. Well, it looks like Martin Sims (of SimS LEDs fame) has dipped his toe into the world of custom basses, with his shamelessly Wal-influenced Enfield Basses... check them out:

http://www.enfieldguitars.com/

Looking rather good... the pickup array looks hugely versatile, the carbon/wood neck looks interesting, and that headstock is just pure Wal. :D I think I need to try one...

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i'm sure they're fantastic basses, but their aesthetics are kind of Wal-wrong :ninja:

one of the things i always loved about Wals was the way they combined custom, high-end looks with utilitarianism. those basses... uh, look like someone described Wals to the builder then went out for a cig!

i'm sure they sound like pure loveliness (the Enfields, that is) - interesting pickup conifg. can't dig the shapes, though.

5. Spot on especialy about the utilitarianism, they just scream forget the expense, I'm a beast that WILL be played not just looked at.

I do love the fact that someone thought highly enough of Wal aesthetics to pay tribute to it. Hey, Wal are only a little younger than Musicman and they are copied often, will we now see some new classic inspired basses come out that aren't Jazz, P or Ray clones?
    If you're gonna pay homage to another, why not Wal;)

Those Enfield Basses resemble the Mk2's, I guess if anyone just wants the look of a Wal but not too fused about the real thing, they could look at them though they're expensive. They look pretty damn versatile.

6. Subsribed.

I've always loved the look of Wals and from all of the soundclips I've heard their tone is killer! I'd love to see some being produced again, especially if there were affordable (for a custom, that is...)

Christian

7. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for them being 'affordable' - especially to Americans, given the exchange rate with the British pound. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be one of the first to order a new one, though. I'd LOVE a red bodied MkIII with a black neck. I'd like to think they'd be business savvy enough to price the newer builds along the same lines the used market has been taking, as it's obvious the market would happily bear those prices, if how fast any Wals that come up sell is any indication.

8. I really want an Enfield. :help: