Wal Basses - Why So Hard to Find?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Owl, Aug 22, 2005.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Just curious, why does one hardly EVER see Wal basses in the States? Are they still in business anymore?

Their fretless to me has the GRRRROOOWWWWLL to die for.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ian Waller (I believe that is his name) passed away and left the business to his partner. The previously two man operation since became a one man operation with no very little, if any, outsourcing. You paying for his time (infinitely backed up), his knowledge (building, carving, assembling, pickup winding, etc), and the prestige and the rarity of the name (well-deserved if reports are to be believed).

That is why they are rare.
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    They are built by one luthier in the UK. They are amazing basses, and in very high demand with low output. The result is a 1+ year waiting list. Rumor has it, they have stopped taking orders altogether. I am still trying to verify this.

If you are interested, I am actually selling my Wal. Se the following post from last week.

4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Pete is swamped. The wait id definite;y more like two years. THo i recently heard about a guy who waited 4 years and then hiss bass arrived with painted on side dots...

unfortunately for people buying used many unscrupulous sellers are jacking the prices way beyond reason trying to take advantage of anyone desirous of a Wal.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I find that hard to believe. I've never heard of a Wal being skimped on.

Isn't Pete's health iffy? I've heard that's why it's taking longer than it ever has.
  6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    No doubt friends...Go to the yahoo wall group site and read it yourselves !